UNITED WAY OF ST. JOHNS COUNTY, INC.
Position Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW, About United Way of St. Johns County
Serving both Putnam and St. Johns Counties, United Way of St. Johns County is the only organization that brings together agencies, businesses, organizations, faith-based groups, government and individuals to focus on the community problems that matter most. Partners share the vision and have the energy, passion, expertise and resources to get the work done. For 65 years, United Way-SJC has improved lives and built a strong, healthy community by strategically investing in quality programs, building partnerships, advocating for better policies, engaging the community and leveraging resources. Success is measured not by dollars raised, but by lives improved and changed. To learn more, www.unitedway-sjc.org.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES The President/CEO is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The President/CEO is the Chief Mobilizer; s/he leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. The President/CEO possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The President/CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The President/CEO is the steward of brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. S/he is responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. S/he values network and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Community Impact The President/CEO is responsible for the overall impact of United Way of St. Johns County on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The President works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. S/he will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
Resource Development The President/CEO is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
Strategic Management The President/CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. S/he partners with the Board of Directors and the United Way of St. Johns County Senior Leadership team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
Organization Management The President/CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Chief Financial Officer to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that United Way of St. Johns County goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
• Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector (United Way experience is desirable), and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
• Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
• Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
• A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
• Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
• Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
• Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
• Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long-term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
Bachelor’s’ or equivalent experience required.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
• Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
• Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
• Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
• Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
• Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and spirations.
• Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
• Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
SALARY RANGE: $105,000 - $130,000