When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
Mission Statement: Mobilizing the compassionate power of our community to improve the quality of lives in Central Virginia.
United Way of Central Virginia is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is working to advance Health, Education, Income, and Basic Human Needs in our community. We do this by supporting many programs, services, and collaborations. We are improving opportunities for our youth to succeed in school. We work to stabilize families through programs that reduce hunger, improve housing stability, and reduce domestic violence. We are improving health care accessibility for individuals of all ages to improve health and wellness.
Our community’s United Way is an independent, locally-governed and directed organization that has a proud history of serving the community in a manner that takes into account the needs of our area’s citizens first. Its history is a strong foundation upon which much has been achieved and much will be achieved as volunteers, community leaders, businesses, government, education, service agencies, and others work together to create results that change lives.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership in carrying out the policies of the corporation as established by the Board of Directors, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers, and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation.
- The President and CEO will be a strategic fundraiser who can enthusiastically define and convey the relevance of UWCV’s work to new and existing funding streams. In collaboration with the Board and staff, this leader will be exceptional at exploring new ways to comprehensively invest in the Central Virginia area. They will bring an understanding of the changing landscape of philanthropy, will have evidence of successful innovation in fundraising and be eager to engage the next generation in giving. An effective storyteller, the President and CEO will convey a genuine spirit enabling them to represent UWCV with a wide range of donors, including individuals, corporate leaders, foundations, community partners and government agencies.
- Works with the staff Leadership Team to ensure coordination and alignment of all UWCV activities in the areas of community impact and resource development.
- Recognizes that UWCV is a consumer brand and continually manages the brand as a strategic asset, and represents the organization throughout the community; developing and enhancing relationships across a broad spectrum of organizations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Visionary, raising funds, cultivating donors, strategic planner and communicator.
- College degree, and commensurate experience managing a non-profit organization preferred. Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field desired.
- Minimum of 7 years’ successful supervisory experience and demonstrated ability in directing a diverse staff.
- Ability to gain and maintain the support and confidence of a broad spectrum of community leadership, and managing an operation within the limits of an approved budget.
- Excellent written, oral communication, and computer skills required.
Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long term disability insurance, a matched 403 B retirement plan and Paid Time Off including 12 paid holidays.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.