United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey’s (“UWGPSNJ”) mission is to end intergenerational poverty in our region by harnessing, leveraging and strategically investing the collective power of donors, advocates and volunteers, to help individuals and families break the cycle of poverty.
Team Summary Statement:
Part of the “Giving” vertical, this team helps fuel the organization’s mission by building United Way’s reputation for being investable, knowledgeable and influential through meaningful storytelling, impactful visuals, compelling data points and strategic partnerships. These efforts to position United Way as a trustworthy and credible leader in the fight against poverty are merchandised through earned, owned, and paid media channels. This team also plays an important role in managing the organization’s reputation when issues arise. Disciplines include content strategy and development, brand management, public and media relations, partnerships and sponsorships, digital and social media, advertising support, graphic and digital design, video and photography, measurement and data analytics, and issues management, among others.
The Partner, Public Relations promotes the mission of the organization in support of brand awareness, organizational reputation, and revenue generation across owned, earned, and paid media channels to multiple stakeholder groups.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include:
• Promotes the mission via earned, owned, and paid media channels; ensures brand voice and key message pull-through / call to action via donor and general public touchpoints
• Positions organizational leadership as thought leaders in the philanthropy and poverty-fighting space
• Educates the public about United Way key verticals via media and public relations to raise awareness and understanding of United Way’s work to end poverty; executes communications strategies in support of the goals for each Impact vertical
• Develops content that brings the mission to life for donors, volunteers, advocates, and the general public via United Way communications platforms and vehicles
• Manages Twitter channel in support of organizational brand goals
• Other non-essential functions and responsibilities or duties as related or assigned.
Job qualifications, knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience preferred
• Two or more years of experience in public relations or communications
• Experience with and strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Strong writing ability and experience in working with creative partners
• The ideal candidate is a motivated, highly organized, self-starter who is comfortable working closely and collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues at all levels of the organization
• Demonstrates required core competencies in accordance with the UWGPSNJ Competency Framework (Donor-Centric, Mission-focused; Relationship Oriented; Collaborator; Results-Driven; Brand Steward)
• Microsoft Office skills and experience required
• Valid drivers license & insurance and/or reliable transportation required for out-of-office travel as required by the position.
Other functional competencies of the department include:
• General Marketing Acumen – takes a strategic, long range view, sees the big picture and identifies with the wants and needs of United Way’s diverse stakeholders. Uses integrated storytelling techniques to tell the UWGPSNJ story, shares key messages and engages and influences key stakeholders in a compelling and influential manner.
• Creating Brand Experience for Everyone (Individuals, Donors, Partners) – Brings the UWGPSNJ Brand to life and enables everyone who interacts with UWGPSNJ to experience the power of the mission. Recognizes and acts on the needs of internal and external customers. Focuses on building sustainable relationships with donors through a brand experience designed to create positive sentiment and behavior change – to increase brand commitment.
• Effective and Engaging Communication – displays effective and passionate communication, articulating the UWGPSNJ message in a way that inspires others to act in service to the organization and community. Assists with the design, shape and execution of a comprehensive, multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategic objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position UWGPSNJ as the philanthropic leader in the community.
• Donor Influence & Volunteer Engagement - Uses data to plan and execute strategic marketing and communications activities and materials in support of the development and engagement of donors. Creates a brand experience that helps attract, engage, and retain volunteers.
Applicants who are, or become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job functions and meet basic job qualifications either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
UWGPSNJ promotes a culture of inclusion and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.