United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region (UWDOR) is a proud host site of the Financial Stability Project. This initiative has had broad reaching effects, creating a substantial impact on our community. Our VISTA Team has been successful in hosting quarterly Financial Literacy Workshops in conjunction with experts at local financial institutions, sustaining and enhancing the Anti-Poverty Coalition which has been critical for agency and partner cohesion during the pandemic, offering free tax preparation services to thousands of low income households by recruiting talented and dedicated volunteers locally, increasing the capacity of UWDOR’s essential goods distribution program, and coordinating dozens of meaningful volunteer opportunities in the community, including our 21 Day Equity Challenges. Additionally the team of four has been successful in bringing in more than $70,000 in grants to promote community financial security.
In addition, UWDOR hosts a new Food Security VISTA who will enhance our impact by increasing access to quality food throughout our region. The Food Security VISTA position is designed to increase partnerships and cohesion among food service providers and nonprofit representatives. Through a targeted strategy, the Food Security VISTA ensures that BIPOC individuals can access appropriate food delivery systems such as pop up food pantries, drive through feeding sites, and mass feeding sites. The VISTA works closely with 200 food service providers to promote a client choice model, ensuring healthy options and nutritional resources are available to BIPOC households.
The AmeriCorps Support Specialist, through the activities outlined below, would ensure greater outreach and visibility of UWDOR’s AmeriCorps VISTA program.
The AmeriCorps Support Specialist would provide management and coordination of UWDOR’s AmeriCorps VISTA program. This position would:
- Manage the recruitment process to ensure high quality candidates;
- Create pathways to retainment for successful service years;
- Introduce VISTAs with mentorships that foster future professional development opportunities;
- Offer both internal and external training opportunities through local, regional, and statewide partnerships;
- Collaborate with AmeriCorps members to develop accurate and ontime reports, ensuring program success;
- Manage successful VAD objectives and activities;
- Provide an enhanced VISTA member experience from the beginning of their service term to completion;
- Utilize a sustainability mindset to ensure program success after project completion.
At a minimum, employee must have an Associates Degree in a relevant field and 2 years Human Services experience; knowledge of service area and available resources; interviewing and assessment skills; ability to work independently; strong verbal and written communication; strong organizational skills; comfort using technology; proficiency in the Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); comfort with public speaking; and ability to work well with diverse populations. Familiarity with National Service programs preferred.
To apply please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org