Request for Proposal: Outsourced Controller Services
Reports To: Lindsay Callahan, CEO
Contract Term: October 1, 2019, through September 30, 2020
SUMMARY OF REQUEST
United Way Fresno and Madera Counties (UWFM), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation is seeking proposals from seasoned practitioners to provide accounting services as outlined below beginning October 1, 2019. It is anticipated that this contracted position will average 8 hours per week on-site plus an additional 8 hours on-site for financial reporting preparation after a transition period of one to two months. The contract will be for a one-year period with the mutually agreeable option to extend it on a year by year basis.
To be considered, a proposal must be received on or before 5 PM – September 25, 2019, to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Ani Eliason
Questions can be directed to email@example.com
The mission of United Way Fresno and Madera Counties is to mobilize community resources to help working families thrive. We raise funds through workplace giving campaigns, implement comprehensive services via 2-1-1, free tax assistance, and The Yield, and connect community- based organizations with a variety of resources. We estimate the 2019-2020 operating budget at approximately $2M+.
United Way uses MIP (Abila) accounting software, Andar donor database, and prepares statements on an accrual basis each month. The finance department includes the following:
- Part-time, outsourced Controller (this role)
- Staff Accountant (full-time)
- Intermittent data entry clerk as needed
- Operations Manager (full-time, allocated .25 to financial department support)
SCOPE OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED
The firm or the individual selected will be responsible for providing the following services for a period of one year with an option to extend the contract as mutually agreeable on a year by year basis.
Controller services that will be required from the contractor include:
- Oversee finance/accounting staff – daily management will be provided by the Program Manager
- Compiles, analyzes and presents monthly financial reports to the CEO and Treasurer in time to meet all required Financial Committee review requirements.
- Drives the annual budgeting process working with internal managers and staff.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations as part of the month-end close process
- Prepares and/or reviews/approves manual journal entries
- Reviews Andar-MIP monthly reconciliations
- Manages cash flow projections
- Oversees designated funds and ensures timely payments to agencies
- Manages the audit process for the year ending 06/2020; preparing schedules and delegating information gathering to other managers and staff as appropriate
- Oversees financial compliance with granting agencies, state and federal law, United Way Worldwide, etc.
- Ensures proper internal controls are implemented
- Builds and maintains a relationship with the Board treasurer
The following must be received by the proposal due date:
- Cover Page – The title page shall show the proposal subject, the firm’s or individual’s name, address, contact name, and the firm’s or individual’s CPA license number (if applicable) and federal identification number or social security number.
- Cover Letter – The cover letter should briefly state an understanding of the work to be performed, commitment to perform the work and statements as to why the firm or individual believes they are qualified to perform the work.
- Firm’s or Individual’s Qualifications and Related Experience - Sufficient information should be provided regarding the qualifications of the firm or individual to meet the needs of UWFM
- Client References - Provide a listing of at least 3 current non-profit clients for which you or your firm is providing accounting services. Please provide references’ full contact information.
- Personnel Qualifications – If for a firm, please provide sufficient information and related experience of personnel who will perform services. Include a resume of the person directly responsible for this contract and other professionals directly involved. In an individual, please provide a resume. Resumes shall include all relevant experience during the last three years with nonprofit corporations, education, CPA licenses and continuing education of the individual(s), as applicable.
- Additional Information - Interested firms are encouraged to provide any additional information not otherwise requested that may aid United Way in awarding this professional service contract.
- Hourly Rates - Please provide you and/or your firm’s anticipated hourly rate for this scope of work. Also, confirm that such an hourly rate will apply if additional services are requested outside the scope of this proposal.
The below factors will be used when evaluating the proposals. The factors are not listed in order of importance.
- Responsiveness to Request for Proposal specifications
- Demonstrated capability to perform the type of work requested
- Qualifications of firm and/or individuals
- Client References
During the evaluation process, United Way reserves the rights to request additional information or clarifications from proposers and the right to reject any or all proposals. There is no expressed or implied obligation for United Way to reimburse responding firms for any expenses incurred in preparing proposals in response to this request.