Service Term: 07/19/2021 - 07/18/2022
The Outreach Coordinator will focus on enhancing the scope of United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra’s volunteer opportunities, outreach materials, and capabilities.
Since 1942, United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra (UWNNS) has been linking the community’s will and resources to improve lives. Beginning in 2014, UWNNS identified a key need to improve early childhood literacy and focused efforts to address it. Over half of northern Nevada’s children are reading below grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The Marketing and Outreach Coordinator VISTA’s efforts will focus on raising public awareness of the importance of early childhood literacy and enhancing volunteerism around this focus area. These opportunities will allow UWNNS to provide more children with access to literacy support and provide families the necessary skills to support their children’s development and learning.
- Build upon and improve UWNNS volunteer training resources, capabilities, and documentation processes.
- Refine and implement a system to record and report the quantifiable results of all volunteer activities and achievements.
- Support and collaborate with UWNNS staff to increase marketing and outreach capabilities.
- Generate content for use in UWNNS outreach, such as website text, newsletter features, promotional handouts, and social media captions.
- Grow the available volunteer opportunities offered by UWNNS and with identified partner organizations.
AmeriCorps VISTA: AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service, which more information can be found here. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,000.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00).
- Modest living allowance of approximately $13,399.00
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750 and a mileage-based relocation allowance.
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Public speaking experience.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a field related to communications, writing, or business.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.