United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
Position: Outreach Coordinator
Reports To: FRC Director
Purpose: The Outreach Coordinator contributes to the achievement of United Way’s mission and vision through development and implementation communications strategies and outreach services for the El Paso United Family Resiliency Center, which assists with the needs of victims and families affected by the El Paso Walmart Shooting.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Marketing and Communication
The Outreach Coordinator supports the FRC Director by developing and fulfilling the duties of a comprehensive event and outreach marketing plan.
- Works with the center’s Director to coordinate educational and resource events, activities and workshops
- Develop collaborative relationships with a wide variety of El Paso area neighborhood organizations, schools and other partners
- Plan and implement promotional strategies for all programming to broaden program participation and deepen general public awareness of Center through multiple channels including print and broadcast, public presentations and grassroots communication
- Establish relationships with service agencies for optimal understanding as to what is provided, to whom and for what purpose
- Collect information regarding available resources including financial, goods and services to maintain and distribute resource listings
- Support broad variety of marketing and communications projects and any related initiatives and strategies, with an emphasis on copy (e.g., print materials, newsletter, print advertising, website, Opinion Editorials, public service announcements, etc.), and graphic design
- Coordinate media relations and maintain strong relationships with external public relations and communication partners and broadcast and print media outlets
- As needed, serve as agency photographer/videographer and maintain
- Support website maintenance
- Assist and/or write scripts for media interviews and special events.
Stay current on marketing, social, economic and political trends that may have an effect on Center and United Way of El Paso County and make recommendations to enhance our image based on those trends.
Be part of the support team during special event(s).
CROSS FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work effectively with other teams at United Way to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Attend key community events and activities as a way to promote United Way of El Paso County’s mission, vision and core values becoming a defined community ambassador for United Way.
- Cultivate community support for United Way by maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses and individuals.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCIES:
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Strong communicator focused on building relationships and leveraging partnerships to advance priorities and initiatives.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Intermediate knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Intermediate knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, FaceBook Live, Microsoft Teams; Intermediate knowledge of case management software and workflow.
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- Think Strategically
Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration
Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Engage and Inspire
Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust
Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community
Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
Core Competencies for all UWEPC Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
QUALIFICATIONS—KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
At least two years of relevant work experience is preferred. Staff person must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple marketing communications projects. Experience in copywriting; event coordination; and media relations required.
Knowledge of the non-profit sector is a plus as well as some experience in a mental health and substance abuse field, crisis intervention, and or/mental health information or referral.
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
Skills and Demonstrated Abilities
- Strong leadership, verbal and written communication skills; and strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple projects.
- Excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Superb researcher
- Excellent writer and editor
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram.
- Must have experience with capturing and editing photos and video
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Classification Salary Range $35,000 - $40,000