United Way of Olmsted County
Title: Outreach Coordinator
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Vice President of Community Impact
Employment Status: Part-Time (up to 30 hours/week)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
United Way of Olmsted County (UWOC) is a community change organization that fights for the education, health, and financial stability of every person in our community. United Way fights to erase divisions, bridge divides, and right inequities. We connect people with resources that change lives and transform our community.
The Outreach Coordinator will increase UWOC’s capacity to effectively engage individuals, businesses, community leadership, partner organizations, donors, and prospective donors in service that advances UWOC’s work by implementing best practices in volunteer management, issue awareness, community engagement, and relationship-building. This role will develop and lead individual, affinity group, and corporate volunteer engagement strategies that position UWOC as a premier mobilizer of volunteers. The position will also support UWOC’s advocacy efforts through issue education across multiple channels, including social media.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, a relationship-building orientation, and an ability to communicate complex information in an engaging and accessible way. They possess both strategic vision and the ability to execute tasks consistently. They demonstrate intercultural competence and a commitment to racial, gender, and socioeconomic equity.
This is a part-time position of up to 30 hours/week, with the possibility of expanding to full-time.
United Way of Olmsted County is committed to advancing equity in its work. Equity seeks to undo discrimination and bias to create a just and fair society in which all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We invite applications from underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. People of all races, ethnicities, genders, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
- Develop and manage the Volunteer Center
- Manage UWOC’s online community volunteer portal
- Develop and manage the Varsity Letter in Community Service program in coordination with local high schools
- Provide support to internal United Way volunteer efforts through consultation and technical assistance in volunteer recruitment, management, and recognition
- As needed, provide technical assistance and training in volunteer management for local and regional disaster response organizations
- Manage corporate and donor volunteer engagement efforts
- Research and implement opportunities for UWOC to create impact and add value to corporate social responsibility efforts, ensuring appropriate volunteer involvement of corporate stakeholders
- Provide for volunteer and engagement opportunities for UWOC affinity groups
- Work with nonprofit partners to develop meaningful volunteer opportunities
- Develop and support UWOC’s issue advocacy efforts
- Raise awareness about and engage the community in creating solutions to local needs
- Manage social media for the Community Impact team
- Attend UWOC and community events, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Support staff in developing projects in resource development, marketing, other impact programs
- Perform other duties as requested
Desired Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Two years of relevant work or volunteer experience
- Experience with volunteer management and community engagement
- Experience with social media, communications, or design preferred
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed
We expect certain essential knowledge, skills, and abilities of a competitive candidate. Candidates must possess and cover letters should address the following competencies:
- Work effectively with others: Build collaborative relationships with volunteers and corporate and nonprofit partners
- Make things happen: Demonstrate executing strengths such as time management, consistency, accuracy, and responsibility
- Think and act strategically: Demonstrate ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to advance organizational goals
- Employ an equity lens: Seek out and value diverse perspectives, demonstrate intercultural mindsets, and contribute to a culture of belonging within the organization
- Communicate clearly: Create effective and engaging content, demonstrating awareness of audience and voice
- Always be learning: Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset and ability to learn new technologies
We expect a successful candidate to grow into the following knowledge, skills, and abilities if they are not currently present:
- Collaborate to design and implement effective communications strategies and create visually appealing content for both print and web
- Maintain and grow productive relationships with local business, nonprofit, and government agencies
- Understand key issues in health, education, and financial stability at the local, state, and national level
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to United Way of Olmsted County, c/o Zeni Aly (email@example.com) by January 23, 2020. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.