United Way of North Carolina (UWNC) is the state association for 50 local United Ways and administers the statewide NC 211 system with an amazing team of community resource specialists, navigators and team leads that deliver information and referral services via the 2-1-1 dialing code in North Carolina. This position is part of a team of Community Resource Specialists that successfully deliver 24/7/365 information and referral services to the more than 150,000 callers who contact NC 211 each year.
Provide information and referral services in accordance with AIRS (Alliance of Information and Referral Systems) Service Delivery standards in a fast paced, 24/7 contact center that relies on adherence to scheduled shifts and a desire to assist others. Specifically, the Community Resource Specialist will follow established protocols to include
- A call protocol designed to build rapport, maintain a conversational tone while establishing professional dialogue, assess client’s needs, understand eligibility, and identify appropriate resources in the local community while providing enough information about each organization to help clients make an informed choice.
- Advocacy and follow-up with clients.
- Recognizing when to use an established crisis intervention assessment for callers to determine the level of intervention needed beyond NC 211 services.
- Incorporation of new initiatives and special projects that leverage the 2-1-1 dialing code within the call protocol and data standards.
- Adherence to uniform data standards for gathering and documenting client contact to ensure adequate representation of caller need and referrals provided.
- Support of 24/7 disaster response during times of activation.
Support the quality assurance plan and your own career development through
- Adherence to call protocol and documented workflows which will be monitored for compliance monthly with improvement opportunities provided for continued staff development.
- Contribute to team performance by meeting or exceeding monitored performance metrics.
- Attendance and participation in regular NC 211 trainings, team meetings, and staff development sessions.
- Active engagement in ongoing coaching sessions and any collaborative feedback sessions with Team Lead and Managers.
- Maintaining communication with Team Lead concerning barriers, changes, gaps, problems or issues.
To understand the importance of technology in the role of a Community Resource Specialist and utilize technology for the benefit of all callers by
- Leveraging tele-interpreter services for those requiring language translation.
- Demonstrating mastery of NC 211 software and equipment, including iCarol, Five9, and NCCARE360.
- Showing flexibility as new solutions come onboard and contributing ideas for training across the team.
- Problem solving technology issues with the Team Lead to maximize time potential down time.
NC 211 is a 24/7/365 operation. If you have scheduling limitations that would prevent you from being able to support our operations, please include those details in your cover letter response.
Our call center operation is located in Cary, NC. All staff are required to work on site for at least the first 90 days of employment. To ensure the health and safety of our team, we require all staff to maintain current vaccination status and follow any local, state or federal public health guidelines.
- Bi-lingual candidates are encouraged to apply and are compensated at a highr pay rate. Please include language(s) spoken, and level of fluency in your resume or letter.
- Associates degree in social work, sociology or related field OR High School diploma with 2 years related work experience in social services, customer services, or contact center.
- Available to work afterhours and weekends.
- NC 211 is an integral part of the State Emergency Response Team (SERT). This requires all NC 211 staff to be available during times of emergency, to work beyond normal hours and/or to be flexible in meeting the needs of the event.
- Knowledge of the delivery of health and human services in North Carolina is desired.
- Skilled in effective communication, both oral and written.
- Working knowledge and comfortable with call center technology and software applications, especially client management systems.
- Excellent listening skills and patience. Non-judgmental, and tolerant of the diverse values and beliefs of callers.
- Respectful of the confidential nature of caller’s need and the information and referral service.
- Benefits include paid leave, 100% paid health insurance and employer match retirement Plan.
- Willingness to become AIRS Certified Resource Specialist as soon as eligible.
- Candidates must have the ability to work at UWNC’s Cary NC call center location for at least the first 90 days of employment. Remote work options, based on performance, are available after the initial 90 day on-boarding period.
- We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply. Workplace accommodations can be made for individuals with special needs.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request for accommodation required.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
No calls or emails for information please.
United Way of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.