Job Announcement: National Service Coordinator
United Way of King County’s mission is to bring caring people together to give, volunteer, and take action to help people in need and solve our community's toughest challenges. Our culture fosters leadership, open communication, teamwork and collaboration, integrity, and accountability.
Because of what we do, we are deeply committed to addressing racial inequities head on to make progress towards a community with equal opportunity for all. We seek individuals in roles to engage in this journey as part of a collective responsibility for forward movement. If you’re passionate about helping low-income people move out of poverty and homelessness and committed to reducing racial disparities, then our National Service Coordinator on our Community Services Team may be a good fit for you.
This position supports the work of the National Service and Ending Poverty Programs team in the accomplishment of team goals and objectives. Major areas of focus include leading AmeriCorps recruitment, providing administrative support to AmeriCorps members and program leads, and supporting grant compliance. The position collaborates with the National Service Program Manager, Ending Poverty and Homelessness Team, Accounting Department, AmeriCorps members, and the Community Services Operations (Ops) Team. This is a time limited position based on grant funding. The position is expected to end December 31, 2021 with the possibility of extension.
United Way of King County is an equal employment opportunity employer and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Applications from candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
The recruitment range is from $54,500 – $58,500. First review will be March 8, 2021 – the position is open until filled.
Protecting the health and safety of our communities is a top priority. Due to the circumstances surrounding the pandemic, all interviews will be conducted remotely for the time being. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions. If you are hired for the position, you will start off working remotely. UWKC employees are working remotely through June 30, 2021. We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation and we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with any related changes to our hiring process.
- Leads recruitment of 200+ AmeriCorps members annually in partnership with program leaders. Develops recruitment plan, implements recruitment strategy, and delegates tasks to other team members.
- Leads recruitment racial equity meetings and AmeriCorps DEIAC subcommittee meetings to develop recommendations for policies, programs, and practices to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion across UWKC's AmeriCorps Programs.
- Responsible for attending recruitment events and developing new partnerships with schools, community based organizations, and community leaders to support National Service Programs. Develop strong partnerships with BIPOC led organizations.
- Works with IT, HR, and other departments to onboard new members and staff. Ensures timely and accurate deployment of technology, pay, benefits, etc.
- Leads ongoing trainings and support for AmeriCorps members and staff on policies and procedures related to AmeriCorps, Compliance, payments, etc.
- Coordinates community building activities for AmeriCorps Members. This includes development of monthly newsletter; management of UWKC AmeriCorps social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn; engagement with Members to gather photos and stories.
- Designs outreach materials (i.e. social media graphics, recruitment videos, recruitment toolkits, email templates, recruitment flyers); Creates social media strategy and copy (including stories of current AmeriCorps members); Utilizes email marketing including e-grants and MailChimp; Partners with Brand team to leverage UWKC Social Media tools.
- Serves as a liaison with funders on administrative compliance for AmeriCorps.
- In partnership with program leaders, manages AmeriCorps hiring process in partnership with program leaders including scheduling and interview setup. Works with HR to complete background checks.
- Develops strategy to communicate with and engage alumni of UWKC AmeriCorps programs.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of all AmeriCorps and Ending Poverty related invoices, reimbursements, payments, and timesheets.
- Coordinates procurement, tracking and organization of supplies (office and program related). Works with Ops team to develop predictable ordering schedule, and understands grant or other requirements that impact procurement. Manage process of securing and distributing ORCA LIFT Passes, coordinating housing stipends, leading health insurance enrollment to National Service Members.
- Performs general office administration work, event coordination, and other related duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to UWKC’s racial equity work and demonstrated interest in social justice.
- Passion for leveraging AmeriCorps to help low-income people move out of poverty and homelessness.
- Strong community outreach and volunteer/staff recruitment experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to Racial Equity and experience building racial equity and social justice strategies.
- Strong project management experience; demonstrated ability to independently manage multiple concurrent projects and drive them to completion.
- Detail-oriented, able to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information.
- Experience leveraging new technology, social media, and other tools on a daily basis.
- Proven ability to multi-task; effective time and project management skills.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong cross-team collaboration, facilitation, and consensus-building background; demonstrated ability to work independently in a team environment, and good decision-making skills.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and presentation skills; understanding of correct usage of grammar, business English, basic math, and strong proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience coordinating volunteer program activities.
Physical activities required by the work include talking, sitting, reaching, lifting, hearing, fingering, and repetitive motions of hands/wrists. Position may lift up to 25 pounds.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s degree preferred. Three years’ experience in office administration, community outreach, program/project support and overseeing volunteer activities are highly desirable. Experience related to federal and other types of grants and working with AmeriCorps members highly desired.
Experience and understanding of systemic and institutional racial bias; sensitivity to issues and concerns of communities of color and other diverse groups including working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds highly desired. Deep passion for creating an inclusive and equitable work environment
Ability to speak other languages desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience engaging in difficult conversations with individuals and groups around race, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Solid communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and excels at building relationships in any environment and enjoys connecting with people and diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of racial justice, cultural differences; an understanding of systemic and institutional racial bias; ability to demonstrate sensitivity to issues and concerns of communities of color and other diverse group.
- Thrives in fast-paced, generative, multiracial work environment.
JOB CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The position requires the ability to oversee staff performance in executing fundraising plans and in meeting organizational fundraising goals. Job involves a high degree of complexity and difficulty. Responsible for developing and implementing operational policies and procedures to accomplish team objectives. Accountable for a team approach to strategic planning. Decisions are made within a flexible team operating structure, which often requires both independent decision-making and making decisions through a collaborative process. Position works under constant time requirements and constraints. Work often requires evening and early morning and meetings.
This job position performs other assignments and performs other duties as deemed necessary by United Way of King County. The contents of this job description may change as deemed necessary by United Way of King County.