United Way Worldwide is searching for a dynamic, accomplished and inspiring professional to lead Young Men United (YMU) — a new national effort, in coordination with local United Ways, to support young men of color successfully complete high school, college and enter the workforce with a meaningful career.
Young Men United represents an opportunity to ensure that more of our young men of color stay on track by providing the critical support they need to build bright futures. Driven by data, informed by what works, and executed locally with a comprehensive approach, this initiative will ensure that 25,000 young men of color successfully complete college and will be career-ready, poised to fuel the pipeline for jobs our corporate partners are looking to fill and ready to take their place as business leaders and entrepreneurs in the 21st century economy.
This National Director will lead a cross-functional team at United Way Worldwide and will coordinate with local United Ways involved with YMU. As described below, the National Director will oversee fundraising and programmatic elements of the initiative and serve as the national leader and spokesperson for this initiative.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Serve as leader for Young Men United across all aspects of the program including strategy, design and operations
- Serve as national spokesperson for Young Men United across media channels, corporate partners and internal communication platforms
- Support fundraising efforts led by Resource Development team, including engaging with potential donors, developing or sharing key program materials
- Work closely with the United Way network to organize and implement Young Men United in their communities
- Support marketing efforts led by the Marketing and Communications Team, including helping to frame key messages, providing research and data, and reviewing collateral developed for the program
- Provide leadership and overall coordination of the work of the internal core team at UWW that have specific responsibilities for executing aspects of the initiative (e.g. fundraising, marketing/communications, data collection and reporting)
- Identify and formalize partnerships with national organizations to support specific elements of Young Men United program execution and scale (e.g. mentoring, internships, youth engagement, scholarship administration)
- Provide customized technical assistance to individual participating United Ways (as needed) to support local program implementation
- Develop and facilitate ongoing opportunities for cross-site sharing and learning to accelerate progress at local United Ways
- Collect, aggregate, and regularly share data from participating markets to track reach, impact, and satisfaction related to program participants, donors, and partners
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree; or commensurate experience working in community or related initiative.
- Six to 10 years of expert-level experience in a similar role.
- Five years of previous people management experience.
- Five to 10 years of experience in a leadership role, with a special emphasis on relationship and partnership skills, donor cultivation, fundraising, project and grant management, data collection, and youth, education, or job training content expertise.
- Proven ability in establishing productive relationships with national partners, business leaders, and post-secondary institutions.
- The successful candidate will be experienced and comfortable with working in partnerships across a variety of organizations and agencies, and knowledgeable about other similar partnerships and the general lay of the land in partnerships that are focusing on older children and youth.
- The position is located in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Travel is required, likely 4-6 travel weeks per year.
If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted. Thank you.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.