The Midlands Reading Consortium (MRC), a signature initiative of United Way of the Midlands (UWM), supplements and enhances shared reading experiences to ignite a love of reading for elementary students. MRC offers a library of services that includes: one to one tutoring; book donations; book nook sponsorships; at-home libraries for students through the Be a Book Bunny program; parent engagement events; guest reading volunteer opportunities; and summer reading camps. MRC is a partnership between United Way of the Midlands, school districts within UWM’s 6 county footprint, local colleges, universities, and community partners serving over 1,000 children each year in across 27 schools.
The MRC Operations Manager manages operations of the MRC Program including, but not limited to, the recruitment, support and training of MRC AmeriCorps Members, tutors and guest readers, building and maintaining relationships with school leadership, directing AmeriCorps to implement strategic growth plans of program as directed and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties: The MRC Operations Manager will oversee and coordinate the day-to-day aspects of the Midlands Reading Consortium. The position will supervise up to ten AmeriCorps Members to support program implementation. The Manager will learn all aspects of AmeriCorps rules and regulations and will take ownership of the administrative aspects of the AmeriCorps grant. Engagement with current and potential AmeriCorps Members, Community Volunteer Tutors, and community partners on an on-going basis, as well as consistent communication with South Carolina Service Commission staff is essential.
MRC Operations (20%)
- Manage programmatic activities including but not limited to development of policies and procedures, training, and schedule coordination for MRC AmeriCorps Members and Volunteer Tutors.
- Manage MRC budget day-to-day expenses such as mileage, volunteer and Member background checks, training and supply expenses.
- Work with UWM’s Volunteer Center, UWM’s Resource Development staff for corporate partners, and other community stakeholders for MRC volunteer recruitment.
- Plan and facilitate orientation and trainings that meet the professional development needs of MRC volunteer tutors.
- Continued relationship cultivation with school leadership and MRC school appointed liaisons as well as corporate partners.
AmeriCorps Management (50%)
- Recruit, interview, and screen all potential AmeriCorps Members including required National Service Criminal History Checks (NSCHC).
- Provide United Way orientation and Project orientation to all AmeriCorps Members.
- Serve as supervisor to AmeriCorps Members, supporting them in their roles including one-on-one weekly supervision sessions and periodic and annual reviews.
- Provide on-going site and member support as needed (one site visits per month, plus other phone/email contact as necessary).
- Track grant-related expenditures, including recording staff time on grants, and coordinating with UWM’s Accounting Department for the submission of requests for reimbursement.
- Facilitate orientation and training that align with AmeriCorps regulations and that meet the professional development needs of AmeriCorps members, including Life After AmeriCorps trainings and required Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service.
- Train and support AmeriCorps Members in coordinating one-to-one student and tutor matching, classroom reading sessions, and guest reading opportunities.
- Maintain AmeriCorps Member records including member files, NSCHC adjudication, documentation of service hours and enrollment eligibility.
- Conduct quarterly team meetings to support AmeriCorps Members in their service assignment.
- Attend monthly trainings hosted by the South Carolina Service Commission, including yearly AmeriCorps regional conference.
Data Management & Reporting (20%)
- Oversee MRC data collection process.
- Maintain effective data collection processes in partnership with school data collection staff and systems.
- Review, analyze and report data on program performance measures.
STEM Expansion (10%)
- Support STEM expansion and exploration as a member of the Community Impact team. planning and partner meetings.
- Support project evaluation requirements.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of working in the educational and/or non-profit youth/education focused arena
- Volunteer management skills and experience
- Team management experience
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in Excel, Access and Microsoft Word
- Five years of working in the educational, social services and or non-profit arena
- Experience with implementing literacy and social emotional learning education focused evidence based/informed programs.
- Experience with grant writing, reporting and research
- Experience serving as an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and/or Vista Volunteer