Title: Member & Volunteer Experience VISTA
Reports To: Gifts in Kind Center Director
Status: Full-time stipended AmeriCorps VISTA member
Core Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of some early mornings, evenings, and occasional weekends
Date: August 17, 2020 – August 16, 2021
Position Objective: The Gifts in Kind Center (GIKC) takes donated consumer products from Walmart Corporation and redistributes them to nonprofits throughout the region who serve low-income individuals and families. The VISTA will focus on developing and improving processes and procedures to communicate with member agencies and partners. The VISTA will also focus on increasing the diversity of the volunteer corps that runs the facility, with a focus on procedures for adequate screening, training, and orientation of new volunteers without disrupting operations. The GIKC VISTA will also work to establish a volunteer leadership corps to provide day-to-day leadership and training to new or temporary volunteers.
Member Experience (45% of time)
- Develop and improve processes and procedures for agency shoppers
- Complete training for agency shoppers, shopping scheduling system, and internal policies
- Update shopper training materials to increase effectiveness
- Assess current processes, looking for ways to increase efficiency and/or automate
- Make recommendations for improvement to GIKC Director and/or GIKC Advisory Board
- Improve ongoing communication with member agencies & shoppers
- Update membership materials to increase user-friendliness
- Create process for collecting and sharing member impact stories
- Identify and implement methods to increase the efficiency of the membership application, invoicing, and renewal processes, working with CFO and GIKC Director
- Improve the effectiveness of bi-annual compliance visits to member agencies through the creation and implementation of a schedule, documentation, and remediation policies
- Conduct outreach as needed to local nonprofits to place excess donations
- Increase collegiate engagement in volunteer and advocacy opportunities through outreach
- Evaluate engagement strategies and effectiveness
- Develop a strategic engagement plan to involve college students in UWP’s work, specifically financial stability work
- In collaboration with Engagement staff, implement plan and assess results
- Document departmental processes and procedures to ensure sustainability.
Volunteer Engagement (45% of time)
- Develop an optimum volunteer staffing plan, identifying current and future needs
- Shadow volunteers to learn about their vital role in operating the GIKC and identify their ideas for improvements
- Evaluate the diversity of the current volunteer corps and establish benchmarks based on community demographics and United Way’s diversity & equity goals
- Identify specific volunteer roles and outline skill, experience, physical ability, and/or aptitude requirements
- Recruit volunteers, as indicated by staffing plan
- Create a targeted outreach and communication plan in collaboration with GIKC Director, VP of Engagement, & Sr. Director of Marketing
- Deploy outreach plan, collaborating with other UWP departments as appropriate
- Conduct volunteer screening, onboarding, and training
- Document processes and procedures for staff and volunteers
- Establish a volunteer leadership corps to provide day-to-day leadership and training to new or temporary volunteers
- Assess volunteer program and satisfaction regularly
- Improve existing data collection processes to demonstrate volunteer impact
VISTA Community Projects (10% of time)
- Participate in a supplemental project with other VISTA members designed to foster collaboration and problem-solving for (a) community-wide issue(s).
- The VISTA team will gather two half-days each month to share different perspectives and experiences gained through their work on-site and work together on (a) project(s).
Benefits of Service
VISTA members receive a modest living stipend ($12,800/yr), professional development, and training. A childcare allowance, health benefit, and student loan forbearance. A $100/month housing stipend is available, payable directly to non-relative landlords.
All AmeriCorps VISTA members who successfully complete their year of service are eligible to receive either an Education Award or a cash award, non-competitive eligibility for government job openings, and access to an extensive member network.
See www.vistasinthepiedmont.org for a full list of VISTA benefits.
- Passion for United Way Mission & Values
- Culturally Competent
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Time/Project Management
- Technologically Proficient
- Eye for Detail
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Nonprofit Management, Communications, Supply Chain Logistics, Project Management, or related focus. At least one semester of experience as a volunteer, leader of volunteers, or within the nonprofit sector. Alternately, an Associate degree in a related field and one year of experience in volunteer programs and/or the nonprofit sector.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to function as a member of a team
- Dependable, thorough, and attentive to details
- Interacts and establishes rapport with diverse individuals and groups
- Prioritize, execute, and shift between multiple assignments and projects while meeting deadlines
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work independently
- Fluent in English language, both oral and written, including correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage
- Knowledge of the Spartanburg, Cherokee, and/or Union communities
- Familiarity with general office equipment
- Prior experience designing and implementing training programs
- Prior experience assessing and implementing process improvements
- Prior experience in a warehouse environment
- Experience with Canva or other graphic design programs
Other Minimum Requirements
- Valid driver’s license and access to transportation throughout the workday
- Ability to arrive on-site no later than 7 am on workdays
- Ability to lift 25 pounds frequently
- Ability to push or pull 50 pounds occasionally
- Ability to work early morning, evening, or weekend hours occasionally as needed and with notice
To apply, please email cover letter & resume to Deborah Bertlesman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and /or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This position description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Team members may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor.