United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
POSITION: MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing and Engagement
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marketing and Communications Specialist contributes to the achievement of United Way’s mission and vision through development and implementation of communications strategies and engagement activities.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist supports the Director of Marketing and Engagement by developing and fulfilling the duties of a comprehensive event and marketing plan.
- Support broad variety of marketing and communications projects and any related initiatives and strategies, with an emphasis on dynamic copy (e.g., print materials, email marketing, SMS marketing, direct solicitations, newsletter, blogs, print advertising, website, opinion editorials, public service announcements, etc.), graphic design and video content
- Liaise with Philanthropy department on management and reporting of fundraising tools on website and develop landing pages for online fundraising activities, including donation forms
- Work within an existing brand voice, both in visual representation and editorial style, to support the consistency and integration of messaging across campaigns and the organization
- Plan and implement promotional strategies for fundraising to broaden participation and deepen general public awareness of United Way through multiple channels including print and digital, public presentations and grassroots communication
- Assist and/or write scripts for media interviews and special events
- Use timelines and scheduled content to create a consistent stream of new content for audience interaction while analyzing, managing, and altering schedules where necessary to optimize visits
- Coordinate ad campaigns with social media strategy
- Analyze and reports audience information and demographics, and success of social media, website interaction, and email communication
- Maintain up-to-date internal and external marketing calendars as well as contact lists for e-newsletters
- Facilitate effective internal communication among team members
- Provide administrative support to the department and organization
- As needed, serve as agency photographer/videographer
- Support website maintenance
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Be part of the support team during special event(s).
Competent computer skills with knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel); knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; Strong knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, Facebook Live, Microsoft Teams; knowledge of case management software and workflow.
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- Think Strategically
Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration
Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Engage and Inspire
Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust
Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community
Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
Core Competencies for all UWEPC Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Minimum Qualifications-- Experience/Position Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
At least two years of relevant work experience is preferred. Staff person must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple marketing/communications projects. Experience in copywriting; digital communications; and media relations is required.
Analytical and decision-making skills and an ability to anticipate and develop appropriate recommendations consistent with the desired work environment. Leadership, strategic vision and big picture perspective.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen and occasionally lifting up to 25 pounds.
The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment. Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and daily access to reliable vehicle.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Classification: Non-exempt Salary: $33,000 - $37,000
This is a full time non-exempt position with competitive Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance and Retirement Contributions).
The United Way of El Paso County is an equal opportunity employer. We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. We take action to ensure equal opportunity and all candidates are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Revised: January 2023