United Way of the Columbia Willamette in Portland, OR seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager to develop and execute marketing projects, lead content creation, including effective storytelling, copywriting, and editing for print and digital channels.
5+ years digital marketing, copywriting, and editing experience.
Hiring salary range: $48,915 - $58,698, DOE/EOE.
Please address in your cover letter:
• Previous experience with implementing social media and SEO marketing strategy,
• Demonstrated experience with measuring effectiveness of content engagement via Analytics,
• Demonstrated copywriting, storytelling and editing background with print and digital channels. (Hyperlink to portfolio examples preferred).
Marketing and Communications Manager
Core Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of some early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Social Media – 40%
• Manage day-to-day operation and monitoring of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram accounts
• Work with Director of Marketing and Communications and the Brand Manager to implement a social media strategy and establish metrics in conjunction with an editorial calendar and marketing strategy
• Create and manage social media ads, contests, Google ads and other paid social media to support fundraising and brand awareness
• Recommend and implement new features on social media to enhance awareness of UWCW’s brand as well as increase donor and volunteer support
• Create social media best practices and guidelines for the organization, including social media toolkits as necessary
• Train staff and UWCW Board on social media protocols and provide ongoing support
• Execute social media campaigns on specific awareness days and for fundraising
• Establish group of social media influencers related to United Way’s mission
• Regularly analyze and report on social media metrics
Content Writing – 20%
• Create compelling storytelling pieces for digital and print channels, with appropriate visuals including infographics, to demonstrate the impact of United Way’s work, engage supporters including new donors as well as retain existing supporters.
• Focus on content writing to support the organization’s Annual Fund development goals
• Write, copyedit, design/manage design, distribute and train staff members on use of collateral for a range of audiences
• Collaborate with various Departments and other nonprofit partners to create impact stories and engaging content for consumption across multiple channels
• Support the marketing team in creation of collaterals celebrating UWCW’s upcoming centennial campaign
• Assist with photography needs during internal events, community events as well as donor engagement functions
Website – 20%
• Manage website content including regular updates and donor-centered messaging
• Manage website enhancements with external contractors/developers as necessary
• Regularly update staff and UWCW Board information on the website, including taking profile pictures of new staff and Board members
• Assist with digital marketing/fundraising campaigns such as #GivingTuesday, Classy peer to peer fundraising, year-end and spring appeals
• Assist with optimizing editorial content for the website, including copy, design, and web integration (i.e. stories, blogs, specific landing pages) for SEO
Analytics and Operations – 10%
• Utilize web/social/email analytics tools and platforms (i.e., Google Analytics, Social Media analytics etc.) to interpret the effectiveness of digital content posted in engaging with identified communities and make adjustments as necessary.
• Regularly report on Google Ad Grant performance and SEO tracking
• Share web analytics reports and dashboards with the Marketing team, Resource Development team and other key staff to better inform their work.
• Ensure adherence to United Way’s brand and that all content produced for both internal and external consumption follows the brand guidelines.
• Continually work to improve and streamline processes and operations
• Assist Brand Manager with earned media and media relations strategies as needed
Equity and Culture – 5%
• Examine marketing projects with an equity lens, ensuring we are reaching appropriate audiences and authentically representing United Way’s work
• Manage translation of materials into Spanish and other languages
Ad Hoc Accountabilities – 5%
• Provide back-up reception relief for the organization
• Serve on integrated staff teams assigned to cross-departmental marketing and communications projects. Act as team leader when assigned
• Seek opportunities to build relationships across departments
• Stay abreast of current trends and techniques in digital marketing and measurement to keep United Way of the Columbia-Willamette at the forefront.
• Attend organizational, departmental, and committee meetings as directed
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, Skills, and Training:
• Five years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s Degree; or a comparable combination of experience and education.
• Digital marketing, copywriting and editing experience. Relevant writing samples required to be shown during interview.
• Photojournalism and basic video editing experience a plus
• Experience bringing a variety of initiatives and tasks to successful closure in a deadline-oriented environment
• Proficiency with creating and posting content to and monitoring social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn on behalf of an organization
• Expertise in social media analytics and web analytics tools and applications (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Hootsuite, BuzzMetrics, SproutSocial, Klout, etc.)
• Expertise in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and creation, set up and regular monitoring of Digital Ads such as Facebook Ads, Google Adwords etc.
• Competent in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, social media design tools such as Canva, Visual.ly etc.
• Proficiency with web publishing; experience with Drupal content management system preferred
• Photography and video editing skills a plus
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the PC environment
• Working knowledge of Email Marketing Platforms like Emma, Classy for donor communications and CRM like SalesForce etc. for donor data management
• Knowledge of Mobile Optimization techniques
• Work is primarily performed indoors, within an open office setting with a moderate noise level and occasional exposure to scents
• Frequently required to sit/stand at computer in a stationery position
• Frequently operates a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as copy machine, printer, phone, and fax machine
• Frequently required to move about inside the office for meetings, access to information, office equipment, etc.
• Ability to link donors, volunteers and advocates' aspirations to needs
• Ability to catalyze others' commitment to mission
• Strives vigorously to accomplish shared goals
• Separates one's own interests from organizational interests in order to make the best possible judgments for the organization
• Seeks and shares knowledge of community
• Takes a collaborative approach to addressing issues
• Focuses on shared goals
• Mobilizes a broad range of sectors and resources
• Acts with integrity and strong ethics to foster trust at all levels (personal, market, societal)
• Internalizes the meaning and commitment of United Way and consistently acts according to its value and purpose
• Demonstrates the values of the network; is a good system-citizen
• Is accountable and transparent with all stakeholders
• Understands and motivates individuals and organizations
• Values diversity and inclusion
• Effectively communicates
• Treats others with respect and dignity
• Actively listens to and facilitates diverse input and contributions
• Has a searing focus on results and can effectively communicate goals and impact
• Promotes innovation/willing to take risks
• Develops relationships to drive resources and results
• Has the necessary organizational skills to deliver on business model
Presents oneself in an appropriate and professional manner. Communicates, acts, reacts and responds appropriately in all situations. Effectively utilizes interpersonal skills and political astuteness to: engage with, lead and function as a member of a team as appropriate. Is trustworthy and acts with integrity, authenticity, humility and in good faith; respecting others' opinions, priorities, values and interest. Seeks to continuously improve interpersonal and professional skills.
Understands and uses empathy, compassion and active listening. Is fully present and aware of subtleties and nuances such as body language and voice tonality to better understand what is important to constituents and how to connect and engage them with UW.
Strong copywriting, editing and verbal communication skills. Able to influence, persuade, present, request and work collaboratively with various departments.
Utilize and Acquire Knowledge
Is forward-thinking, focused on what is possible and seeks new tools and knowledge as needed. Is able to use technology when acquiring and utilizing knowledge and is innovative and creative in its application. Seeks to continuously improve interpersonal and professional skills.
Demonstrates Social Responsibility and Stewardship
Has a passion for the common good and affection for the community. Believes in social responsibility and inspires others to be socially responsible. Demonstrates courage and humility when working toward improving life in the community.
Supervisory Direction Received:
Position works under the general direction of the Director-Marketing and Communications
Requires planning and arranging of own work in relation to overall set objectives
Work subject to review and evaluation by supervisor
Works closely with the Marketing and Communications team. Additional working relationships may include Resource Development, Community Investments, UW staff, donors, Hands On Greater Portland volunteers, nonprofit and social sector partners, corporate donor organizations, service beneficiaries, subject matter experts and other constituents
Supervises:No direct reports