When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
We are a Metro 4 (BPM 2) United Way with an annual campaign of $1.5 million with grant revenue of $175,000. Our strategic plan directs us further into the community impact continuum, with a particular focus on collective work toward early childhood success and high school graduation. We currently invest in 20 strategic partners/coalitions and internal programs working toward common goals around Education, Financial Stability and Crisis Intervention. In addition to supporting 2-1-1 Mississippi, we play a vital role in supporting a very successful VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program.
We believe in investing in not only our community, but also in our teammates by nurturing a relational culture and providing employees with a generous benefit package.
We provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants including veterans and those with disabilities.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the Vice President of Resource Development and Marketing in managing United Way of the Capital Area’s (UWCA) marketing and communications programs in alignment with the organization’s mission and vision. Create and implement organizational communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience. Plan and execute effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the United Way brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
Function as an effective brand steward, providing peer-to-peer leadership, training, and support to help all staff deliver the ideal messaging at all times. Oversee digital marketing and communications strategy and tactics. Serve as the organization’s lead media contact, handling both short- and long-term PR activities.
Support United Way's commitment to excellent customer service by facilitating communication and relationship-building with community partners and key stakeholders (United Way staff, local organizations, businesses, and individuals).
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
25% Digital Marketing and Social Media
• Work closely with the VP of Resource Development and Marketing to develop, recommend, implement, coordinate, and analyze strategies, plans, and digital communication activities designed to maximize awareness, drive website traffic and donations, and increase stakeholder engagement
• Oversee work done by Marketing Committee to achieve these goals
• Stay up-to-date on new marketing and communications technologies, trends, and ideas
• Oversee organizational training on use of social media and serve as ambassador and role model for effective use of social media in both organizational and personal contexts
• Creates pertinent content, manages, and provides analysis for all social media at UWCA
• Integrate all Marketing and Communication activities and content to create a holistic, consistent experience.
• Implement and track all multi-channel digital marketing and email campaigns, including the integration of direct mail and other digital content delivery.
• Integrate social media strategies with forward-thinking content and communication plans across various outlets to amplify our message, engage stakeholders, and build new audiences.
35% Marketing and Communications Strategy Development and Implementation
• Work closely with the VP of Resource Development and Marketing in developing and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing and communications goals
• Develop an annual marketing and communications tactical plan, including public relations and online marketing. Conceptualize and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategies and objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position United Way as a leader in the community
• Work closely with Community Impact staff to understand United Way’s “product” in order to present clear information to the community (media, donors, volunteers, staff, etc.)
• Develop and conduct ongoing research to support the planning and development of organization marketing strategy and tactics
• Work with the VP of Resource Development and Marketing in the implementation of marketing objectives to ensure effective and consistent communication messages
• Work with other internal departments to integrate marketing and communications strategies
• Serve as liaison with internal and external customers for messaging/theme materials and key communication strategy development
• Stay current with all available market research and advise the CDO on community issues, donor trend, and any other factors that may influence the effective positioning of the organization
• Follow the progress of United Way Worldwide (UWW) in branding, marketing and communications tools, and research
• Assumes primary staff responsibility for Marketing Committee meetings, overseeing the activities of the committee and providing expertise to volunteers in organizing and developing successful campaign and marketing strategies.
• Develop new opportunities to raise awareness of the United Way brand locally
• Manage year-round donor communications, advertising, printing, and publications
• Responsible for the direction of all marketing and communication materials, including negotiating timelines and obtaining stakeholder buy-in
• Develop budget forecasts for the organization’s marketing and communication projects and monitor and control expenses to meet those forecasts
• Write, edit, and manage publication of the printed newsletter
• Write and edit other internal and external publications and collateral as required
• Review weekly and monthly marketing metrics reports and use this data to evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s efforts and recommend changes to strategies and tactics
• Ensure that every department is participating in checking materials for accuracy and taking full advantage of every opportunity to properly position United Way as an inclusive, uplifting, energetic and engaging organization
10% Media Relations
• In partnership with the Vice President of Resource Development and Marketing, oversee the development and maintenance of a favorable public and media relations environment for UWCA
• Work with the Vice President of Resource Development and Marketing to establish media and community outreach objectives
• Develop relationships with media and execute personalized pitches to reporters
• Strategically position UWCA as a local thought leader on the topic of community issues and solutions
• Proactively develop targeted stories for placement in all communications channels, including print, internet, radio and television outlets
• Initiate and coordinate media interviews, photo opportunities, press conferences, and events
• Work with internal staff to identify newsworthy events, programs, etc.
• In partnership with the Vice President of Resource Development and Marketing and CEO, serve as a spokesperson for UWCA in dealing with the general public, media, and other specific constituencies. (This includes potentially speaking on camera.)
• Bachelor’s degree (Communications, marketing, journalism, public relations discipline or business administration strongly preferred).
• At least three to five years of progressive experience in a similar role; media relations experience strongly preferred.
• Will consider candidate with equivalent combination of education and related experience.
• Established relationships with local media contacts a plus
• Budget management experience preferred
• Knowledge of strategic business planning helpful
• Volunteer management and/or fundraising experience a plus
• Constant exposure to work environment is typically controlled, agreeable, and in a non-smoking office, though travel may occasionally expose employee to inclement weather conditions.
• A person in this position needs to constantly move about inside the office and during frequent off-site meetings.
• Frequent activity associated with attending meetings within the organization and meeting external constituents.
• Frequently attend local meetings. Occasional annual United Way (UW) conference attendance is needed as determined by supervisor.
• Regarding meetings: observing the presenter or information being relayed, as well as detecting the message, and exchanging information is a requirement.
• The employee will occasionally be required to audibly address/convey information to large groups of people in an indoor setting.
• Frequently communicate with others and/or express oneself via meetings, over the telephone, and through written channels.
• Constantly recognize and discern written material.
• Constantly operate typical office equipment (telephone, copier, printer, fax, computer, keyboard, etc.).
• Employee will seldomly need to position themselves to lower spaces or ground floor to reference objects/items or information such as literature.
• On an infrequent/seldom basis, employee may need to move items up to twenty-five (25) pounds when preparing for meetings, events, or gatherings.
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
• Constantly ascend/descend stairs (while inside UWAC’s office building, an elevator is available for use).
• Must have a valid driver’s license, daily access to reliable transportation, and proof of current automobile insurance.
• Frequently required to drive/operate a car.
• Ability to periodically work evenings and weekends/outside the standard 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM timeframe
• Maintain collaborative working relationships with United Way staff and external customers
• Serve on integrated staff teams assigned to cross-departmental branding projects. Act as team leader when assigned
• Use tact and judgment in dealing with others and effectively influence people in all types of positions
• Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers
• Attend organizational, departmental, and committee meetings as directed
• Travel to designated meetings and events throughout the community
• Perform other duties as assigned
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
TO APPLY: All applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Dr. Roosevelt Littleton please contact our office at 601-948-4725 or contact Dr. Roosevelt Littleton, Vice President of Resource Development & Marketing at email@example.com with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Manager Application. It is preferable that applications be submitted by December 16, 2022.