PURPOSE: United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley seeks a Manager to run the day-to-day operations of Valley Assistance Network (VAN). The core service of VAN is a comprehensive resource and referral system. VAN provides immediate crisis intervention services to help ALICE® families navigate the complex social services system and move from crisis to financial stability. The program launched in 2017 and has helped over 2,000 families connect with housing, clothing, food, medical care, job training, and many other resources.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Manager of Valley Assistance Network is responsible for the delivery of high quality referrals and service to VAN clients. The Manger will lead a team of volunteers to help families connect with a wide variety of community resources. This involves linking them to health and human service agencies, providing advocacy, researching new and creative solutions, and providing support and encouragement on their journey to achieve financial stability.
This position is responsible for volunteer management and general office management, while providing a high level of customer service, oftentimes under pressure. The Manager will develop and improve internal processes to support volunteers and overall work flow. They will work closely with the Director of Community Engagement to implement and evaluate new programming.
No two days will look the same in the VAN office. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, flexible and creative problem solver with a passion to serve others.
- Process a high volume of incoming calls, email, and text requests from clients seeking information and referrals for services
- Recruit, train and manage a team of volunteers to assist with resource navigation, case management, budgeting, and other roles as needed
- Assist clients with navigating resources and problem solving solutions while providing a high level of customer service
- Advocate for clients to obtain appropriate housing, employment, education, counseling, health care, transportation, treatment, medication and other needed services
- Maintain updated resource lists and working relationships with community partners
- Ensure timely and appropriate data collection, analysis and reporting
- Manage and improve overall work flow to support volunteers and clients
- Assist in developing internal growth strategies and processes for improvement
- Participate in outreach and community events, as needed
- Must possess strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Detail-oriented and solution driven – able to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information
- Excellent organization and follow-through skills in a fast paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including active listening
- The ability to handle conflict effectively and de-escalate situations
- Experience leading and motivating a team (employees or volunteers)
- Time management and ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- The ability to interact with diverse audiences
- Must be flexible, proactive and open to learning
- Knowledge of the challenges and barriers for people in crisis and those experiencing homelessness is preferred
- Experience navigating the education, housing, or social service system is preferred
- Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, counseling or related field
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Minimum one year of experience in program coordination/management, volunteer management, community outreach or office administration
- Knowledge of community resources and social services highly preferable
- Fluent in Spanish would be a bonus
The statements made herein are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.