At the heart of our work is ensuring the safety net by providing life-saving services to meet our neighbors’ most basic needs, like food and shelter.
We are here to support families and individuals when they are going through crises, like job loss, domestic violence and natural disasters.
And, we create a pathway to self-sufficiency and success for our neighbors and our community. We provide the tools, resources and education for families to achieve financial stability and independence, for children to succeed in school and in life and for veterans to rebuild their lives after returning from service.
Every day of the year, 24-hours a day, we are the voice of help and hope for those who call our 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE.
And, we bring stakeholders and our community together to address the most pressing needs in our area, improving the quality of life for everyone in our region. We do it all strategically, transparently and with a focus on results.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Serves as United Way’s chief representative in Montgomery County. Oversees operations of the assigned United Way Center, providing oversight for its operations, staff and facility. Promotes United Way as convener of community groups for interagency and collaborative activities by initiating community problem solving activities with area leaders and working with agency leadership in promoting program development and service delivery. Responsible for managing the community investment process for programs in the local area that support United Way’s vision and goals. Provides support for United Way’s community campaign presence and Days of Caring.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Strategy Development: Participate in the creation, implementation and success of strategies to increase impact on the community of UWGH’s Community Outreach work. Work as a member of the Community Outreach leadership team to develop a multi-year plan for initiative program development, benchmarking and resource development. Current strategies include: affiliate investments, center operations, disaster response, and strategic initiatives. Work with high-level volunteers in identifying community impact strategies that best promote mission and vision of the UWGH.
- Community Engagement: Build and maintain relationships with senior leaders of institutional and organizational partners. Lead efforts to identify community needs and potential solutions by soliciting input from a broad constituency in a variety of ways, both in person and digital. Identify and communicate with appropriate UWGH team members regarding opportunities to leverage relationships more broadly. Advocate on behalf of clients and organizations targeted by UWGH’s Community Outreach work.
- Operational Management and Oversight: Oversee operations of assigned of United Way Center(s), providing oversight for the center operations and facility. Monitor budget for assigned programs, reporting variances and projecting month to month outlays. Monitor budget for assigned programs, reporting variances and projecting month to month outlays.
- People Development: Supervises staff by successful objective setting and performance reviews. Assure coordinated and clear individual and team goals are identified and monitored. Identify and communicate skill strengths and weaknesses of individuals and teams to determine appropriate actions to build and/or improve the needed skills. Regular and meaningful updates with each team member are expected.
- Contract Management and Oversight: Oversee efforts to monitor program and initiative investments, supporting staff in providing partners with technical assistance and training to ensure continuous quality improvement, data management and reporting. Oversee the execution and monitoring of professional contracts, including foundation grants, reporting, organizational review and evaluation
- Constituent Relationships: Support efforts to obtain and provide data, program information and constituent stories about UWGH’s work in the Houston area and be an effective and compelling communicator of the same to advance engagement and brand value. Liaise with internal constituents such as UWGH’s Donor Relations and Brand/Marketing teams to identify, develop and implement opportunities to communicate to constituents the impact of Community Outreach work on UWGH goals and priorities.
Bachelor's Degree or better from an accredited institution.
6-8 years: Direct human services experience required. Community engagement and advocacy for lower-income families and individuals preferred.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.