United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
Communications professional on United Way Worldwide’s Communications team. Primary responsibility (55%) of the role is to develop and execute effective communications strategies to, with and about corporate partners. The other 45% supports internal communications to our 1800 local United Ways worldwide. This position requires an external / internal strategic communications professional who is as comfortable thinking big picture as executing detailed communications plans.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: This individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at an excellent level:
- Create and execute communications strategies that articulate United Way’s value proposition to external audiences through social media, web site content, and wommunications materials, such as press releases, fact sheets, donor campaign materials, PowerPoint presentations and other tools.
- Design and execute strategic communications plans to tell the story of United Way’s work with our partners and to help articulate how United Way and our partners can work together to build stronger communities.
- Proactively look for and develop new opportunities to elevate the United Way brand on national and global levels. Manage existing opportunities and partnerships to maximize external stakeholder engagement and mutual brand lift.
- Offer strategic guidance and counsel to other departments who want to promote partner initiatives, externally or internally.
- Support the Director of Internal Communications to develop and execute effective communications to the United Way network of nearly 1800 organizations in more than 40 countries.
- Create or aggregate key internal stakeholder content.
- Execute daily, monthly and quarterly communications to our United Way Network through our email newsletters, extranet website, webinars and other communications platforms
Miminum requirements include a Bachelor's degree plus over five years of prior relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in strategic communications: writing, editing and content creation across multiple platforms
- Deep understanding of the corporate landscape and environment
- Experienced in creating / executing communications strategies that get results
- Experience in Corporate Social Repsonsibility, inside a company or partnering with a company, is strongly preferred
- Experience with email management programs, basic html and photo editing (e.g. Photoshop) a plus
- Solution-oriented, strategic communicator
- Results and detail-oriented project manager
- Strong relationship builder and collaborator
Candidates will be required to provide communications credentials – samples of three best pieces of work.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100, ext. 428 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities.