As the Manager, Public Relations you will help to develop and execute public relations and media relations efforts for all of United Way Worldwide’s B2B and B2C audiences across nearly 1,800 communities in more than 40 countries worldwide. You will report to the Director, Public Relations and will develop and implement a broad range of communications, public relations, and media relations activities in support of United Way Worldwide’s mission, vision, values, and priorities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at an excellent level:
- Assist in the development and implementation of a public relations strategy that increases brand awareness, asserts thought leadership, and articulates what United Way means to communities around the world through various events, speaking engagements, interviews, op-eds, and public-facing opportunities.
- Work with the Director, Public Relations to create and execute communications strategy to highlight United Way Worldwide’s thought leadership and executive engagement, including identifying opportunities (speaking, media, op-eds) to promote United Way Worldwide, its programs, partners, and impact. Provide input on communications plans and strategies and, with the Director, Public Relations, present plans to internal clients.
- Field incoming media inquiries, manage media lists, log media inquiries, and oversee relationships with external media vendors.
- Develop press materials, including news releases, briefing materials, and fact sheets on United Way Worldwide programs, partners, policies, and experts.
- With the Director, Public Relations, develop and cultivate relationships with key media and seek proactive media opportunities and op-ed placements.
- Facilitate and staff media interviews with appropriate staff persons and prepare appropriate briefing materials.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson.
- Manage the relationship with external media monitoring vendor and oversee the daily collection and curation of United Way stories, so we can be on top of the news as it relates to United Way Worldwide.
- Coordinate with the Manager, Social Media to ensure consistency of proactive digital and press outreach.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- Five to six years of prior relevant work experience.
- Superior writing and editing skills for all platforms is a must.
- Editorial and journalism experience are highly valued.
- Experience in creative collaboration as a member of a strategic communications team is a plus.
- Strong relationship management and coaching skills and experience.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong knowledge of multiple data and content management systems is highly valued, as is strong knowledge of multiple social media channels and the ability to repurpose content across multiple communications platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to repurpose content for various formats (e.g., press release to blog post to newsletter).
- Candidate must provide samples of three best pieces of communications work.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.