For nearly 100 years, United Way California Capital Region has brought local people together to make community change happen. Our local United Way is working to end poverty starting in school by ensuring kids meet important milestones and their families receive support and resources. We bring people together across Amador, El Dorado, Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties through the Square One Project, our 20-year promise to significantly increase the number of students in our region who graduate from high school ready for success in college and beyond. For more information visit yourlocalunitedway.org.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Manager is a key member of the Marketing & Resource Development team. This position plays a critical role in telling United Way’s story through marketing and communications. The manager assists with a broad range of marketing projects, events and campaigns and is involved in most day-to-day activities of the department.
The Manager is responsible for content management and creation for all United Way’s owned channels including website, social media, and newsletters. This position also manages the development of marketing materials, execution of marketing campaigns and analysis of results.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist with overall marketing planning and objective setting.
- Assist in developing effective marketing strategies that support United Way’s fundraising and community program activities resulting in strong positioning of United Way and the Square One Project in the community.
- Manage and produce content for all internal and external organizational communications channels including employee communications, donor communications and volunteer communications.
- Create fresh, engaging content for all social media channels and websites
- Interface with key departments to gather and share newsworthy stories
- Assist in the development, and execution of newsletters
- Monitor all owned content channels and optimize conten
- Assist with execution of marketing campaigns
- Manage and produce marketing materials for the Our Promise Campaign, and United Way impact programs including:
- Printed materials such as flyers, brochures, postcards, and posters
- Digital materials such as emails, web and social media content
- Assist with United Way events through promotion on owned channels and onsite support
- Identify, establish, and cultivate relationships with social media influencers, media, partners, and other institutions.
- Keep abreast of industry trends, best practices, and new opportunities with digital media.
- Track marketing KPIs and optimize marketing activities
- Develop and execute electronic newsletter.
- Manage marketing project budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Fast mover and thinker with high level of creativity
• Self-starter who needs little direction or guidance
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings with a variety of stakeholders.
• Strong storytelling, copywriting and editing skills.
• Knowledge of marketing and communications best practices.
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Nice to have knowledge of graphic design tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop and In Design.
• High level of proficiency with digital and social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or a related field with 3-5 years of experience in these or related fields
• Experience writing and managing website content
• Experience with email marketing, tools and best practices
• Experience writing creative content for social media
• Experience working with a designer and managing collateral production projects
• Salary commensurate with experience
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
• Sit at a desk for long periods of time.
• Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
• Work in an office environment, lift and move objects up to 40 pounds such as large binders, books, boxes, and small office equipment.
• React quickly under high pressure settings.
• Willingness to travel locally and overnight via plane, train or private vehicle.
• Ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
• Possession of an appropriate California operator’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, and adequate automobile insurance; possession and maintenance of a good driving record.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.