United Way of Northern New Jersey is working hard to build a strong community — where workers earn enough to meet their needs, can build a personal safety net to weather a crisis, and have access to quality care for vulnerable family members.
We are striving for racial and financial equity for individuals and families in poverty and those living paycheck to paycheck, known as ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed.
We do this by assessing the needs and rallying the community to address the barriers that are keeping struggling families from achieving financial and personal success. Because when one of us wins, we all win.
This marketing/communications professional will support pilot project to build a new model for child care delivery in the state. This new approach supports the child care industry, families that need the care so they can work, and children. Working in a collaborative environment, this role will contribute to the overall success of the initiative and the organization. The ideal candidate will possess the confidence and skills to work independently and collaborate with employees of all levels across the organization.
This position is responsible for conceptualizing and executing a message and marketing strategy that clearly articulates the purpose of this pilot, cultivates new supporters, and further engages existing contributors in our work. Job entails performing a variety of tasks to ensure all related marketing materials and messages are compelling and concise. This position will be responsible for creating appropriate messaging for web, appeals, social channels, public relations, and general marketing materials related to this project. All materials are expected to be professionally organized and executed, thereby properly showcasing our brand to the public.
- Collaborate with project team to conceptualize and develop a message and marketing plan that conveys the urgency of this work, inspiring donors to give and community members to get involved
- Establish protocols and templates to protect and promote the United Way brand and showcase the partners involved in this collaborative effort
- Provide creative direction and craft clear, concise language for all related materials
- Adherence to United Way Worldwide brand guidelines
- Craft social media messages and visuals that showcase the project
- Devise site map and copy for a microsite designed to feature this work and the partners
- Create message strategy to engage targeted audience segments by way of segmented outreach
- Develop sponsorship and engagement packages to attract supporters for this effort
- Guide/craft speeches and/or speaking points to ensure adherence to overall message
- Develop additional elements to showcase effort and ensure adherence to overall message strategy, i.e. video, public relations, testimonials, impact stories, presentations/ppts, reports, etc.
- Assist in documenting the journey of this pilot project
- Position project results for public consumption
- Remain receptive to feedback and open to revisions before finalizing all pieces
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to initiate, plan, organize, direct, coordinate, and control projects independently
- Attention to detail and timely follow-up; exceptional planning and experience executing projects
- Five years’ experience in marketing and/or public relations capacity
- Job may require travel throughout the state, transport of materials to meetings, and a background check
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.