Please Note: Thank you for your application and interest in United Way Worldwide. These uncertain times have disrupted our workflows and extended many application review timelines. Our promise to you, the candidate, is that we will contact you once there is an update on the position/s for which you applied. Thank you for your patience.
As the Manager, Instructional Design, you assist staff and volunteers across the United Way Worldwide Network (Network) to develop the knowledge and skills to maximize United Way’s impact in communities and create opportunities for all. You are responsible for providing and/or supporting a wide range of instructional activities to create engaging and effective learning experiences that operationalize the enterprise-wide strategy and result in participant behavior change. You constantly innovate, ever watchful for opportunities to leverage and re-purpose content for continuous improvement, accessibility, and scaling across the Network.
Please note this is a temp-to-hire opportunity.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Generate learning assets that may include ILT, eLearning, mobile learning, micro-learning, performance support, virtual training, instructional videos, and more using a suite of instructional design technologies that could include Articulate Storyline, Articulate Studio, Articulate Rise, and various virtual meeting or conference software.
- Be comfortable in a fluid environment, perhaps creating a storyboard one day, refining a presentation deck the next, and designing a micro-learning instructional video the next. Depending on the product, you may work alone or work with a team to deliver the product. Comfort with agile design methodologies is a must.
- In close partnership with key stakeholders, subject matter experts (SME), and team members, you will:
- Provide project and account management for a diverse set of instructional modalities (in-person, e-learning, blended learning, etc.) across the full lifecycle of the product (needs analysis, design, development, delivery, evaluation, and revisions).
- Build ILT, eLearning, mobile learning, micro-learning, performance support, virtual training, and more as appropriate.
- Design, remix, upgrade, and invigorate existing curriculum and courses to increase relevancy and impact.
- Provide instructional and creative learning design, development, and on occasion, delivery of learning assets.
- Partner effectively with SMEs and stakeholders to:
- Conduct insightful learning needs analyses.
- Develop learning objectives and design learning assets using sound adult learning principles.
- Develop appropriate tools and materials (facilitator guide, participant workbooks, online job aids, etc.).
- Create prototypes, storyboards, and design documentation that effectively communicate design.
- Leverage appropriate instructional strategies based on content type, learner attributes, delivery platforms, and business need.
- Develop detailed design plans, which include key activities, timelines, and resource requirements needed to achieve objectives.
- Clearly articulate rationale for learning approaches based on sound learning science, adult learning principles, interoperability standards, and web accessibility standards.
- Apply project management knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to support projects from initiation to project delivery.
- Effectively utilize design models such as ADDIE, SAM, and design thinking.
- Author course content, simulations, scenarios, as well as write, record audio script, and work with SMEs and other voice talent to ensure proper pronunciation and style.
- Work with video production and graphic sources to produce final versions of course materials.
- Serve as an innovative change agent for continuous improvement in United Way curriculum through improved/enhanced methodologies and technologies.
- Assist in the identification, collection, and sharing of best practices within the Network.
- Assist in ongoing departmental operations, development, marketing and delivery of learning and knowledge exchange products.
- Participate in the development and implementation of departmental action plans, work processes and systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree or commensurate experience (preferred coursework in instructional systems, instructional design, adult learning theory, training and development, or performance technology). Formal certification in Instructional Design or ISD, or related skills highly preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience as an instructional designer in a corporate learning and development environment
- Experience building online and in-person courses for adult learners from the ground up.
- Proficient in Microsoft and computer graphics programs.
- Proficient in authoring tools (e.g., Articulate products, Camtasia, Captivate, etc.).
- Current and practical knowledge of adult learning principles and ISD concepts, including ADDIE and rapid methodologies such as SAM.
- Detail-oriented and ability to coordinate and track simultaneous projects.
- Experience using instructional technology, including learning management systems, video conferencing software, collaborative social networking tools, presentation software, authoring tools, Web 2.0 tools, and video editing software.
- Proven ability to distill dense, complex information into compelling, practical, consumable, scalable learning solutions.
- High degree of intuition, flexibility, and adaptability to adjust to changing client demands, organizational needs, and emerging opportunities,
- Strength in project management skills and strong written / verbal communications.
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse stakeholders of client and SMEs.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment.
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for a nonprofit mission.
- Willing and able to travel as needed (estimated 10% travel) for learning program oversight to conferences, etc.
NOTE: Applications must be accompanied by an electronic portfolio of up to 5-10 design samples
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
You believe in a culture of inclusive excellence and value the differences that make us each unique. You are professional and kind; curious and passionate about your work; seek a stimulating and rewarding career; and, sincere in your desire to help others. Join our dynamic team and use your talents and ambition to make a difference in the world—help individuals and families achieve their human potential and build stronger communities.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way brings people, organizations, and communities together around a common cause, a common vision, and a common path forward. In many communities, we're the only nonprofit building up the cornerstones of education, financial stability and health—and the only nonprofit bringing people together from all walks of life to be a part of local solutions. We're engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories, where people are powering big ideas and big action by donating, volunteering and speaking out through United Way.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA with local, remote, and international employment opportunities. Our culture is People First—we take it seriously and, because of that, we take good care of people. How good? We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits package including tuition assistance and professional development; dress for your day; free onsite parking and gym; wellness programs; volunteering opportunities and leave; and, paid time off (PTO) and paid leave for religious observance, voting, family sick, medical appointment, and, parental/adoption. Additionally, we offer access to comprehensive health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; employee assistance program (EAP); and, a 403(b) plan—it’s a long list. We encourage growth and upward mobility—and want you to succeed in a diverse, inclusive, and ethical workplace. Take action, join our Team—apply now.
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE:
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.