PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The director will oversee the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities of prospects to increase funding to Orange County United Way. Will work to expand the donor base providing unrestricted funding and to assist with the fundraising goals of the organization. The director will solicit prospects and donors for leadership gifts of $1,000 and above. The director will work in partnership with other development officers, VP of Development and organizational volunteers to reach a larger pool of prospects and to support targeted solicitation goals.
Core Fundraising Qualifications:
- Development and Donor Relations
- Leadership gift solicitation
- Strong experience with donor giving circles
- Portfolio Management
- Team Builder
- Embraces & Manages Change
- Adept Problem Solving Skills
- Effective & Engaging Communicator
- Increase the number of community donors to Orange County United Way’s work
- Identify, cultivate and solicit a pool of prospects and steward individual donors
- Meet monthly prospect contact goals including monthly visits, solicitations and contact reports
- In collaboration with the VP, develop and implement a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, and solicit major gift prospects
- Assist in creating a pipeline for new community donors to give directly to United Way
- Manage the major donor database and wealth screening
- Engage community groups and create philanthropic partnerships
- Assist in identifying and cultivating foundation relationships
- Cultivate and enhance strong relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations including current, prospective and lapsed donors as well as other key executives, CEOs and influencers
- Build relationships and think strategically to attract and sustain both financial and non-financial resources.
- Collaborate cross functionally with Community Impact, Campaign, and Grant teams to identify opportunities for strategic alliance and philanthropic partnerships with existing supporters and prospects
- Participate on the United to End Homelessness success team and be a United to End Homelessness subject matter expert for the development team
- Cross-functional collaboration projects that aid in driving brand awareness, revenue, and impact measurement
- Progress and goal tracking will be reviewed on a quarterly basis
Education and Training Required for this Position
Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years of relevant work experience in direct fundraising and/or donor relations. Nonprofit experience in working with individual donor, solicitation, engagement and stewardship within Orange County and/or Southern California strongly preferred.
Advanced computer skills with emphasis on Microsoft office 2010 (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word) to support report development, relationship management, and goal tracking. PPT for development presentations. Assist VP of Development with wealth management screenings. Andar Database knowledge desired.
The employee is required to actively listen and communicate. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Ability to operate a computer keyboard, and lift files and reports. Exposure to glare from a computer. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds. Participation in early morning and evening meetings and events will be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.