UWMD is a fast-paced, growing social change organization that unites the community to create opportunity for all North Texans to thrive. We have a collaborative mission focused team with a strong culture and are looking for a Manager of Events to join UWMD’s transformational work.
The Manager, Events functions as a strategic member of the Resource Development team planning and executing high-quality programs on behalf of United Way. Responsible for producing special events that reinforce United Way’s message for the community at large, businesses, volunteers, and individual contributors. Responsibilities include assisting with event strategies and concepts, budget development/management, logistics, staffing, and post-event evaluation to improve event results and processes. Additionally, this position works closely with the full Resource Development team to understand donor interests and develop an event environment to support development objectives and sponsorship strategies.
Essential Role Functions: (Accountabilities / Responsibilities)
Manage logistics and tactics for events, including but not limited to: selecting vendors, securing location, selecting décor, coordinating sound and lighting, selecting room layouts and menus, choosing entertainment, managing agenda and speaker components, and overseeing day of execution.
- Support development of annual event plan with VP, Development Strategy and Resource Development Senior Leaders that addresses key organizational and development.
- Responsible for assigned United Way external and internal events.
- Oversee logistics for assigned events including brainstorming, vendor search and relationships, contract review, food and beverage details, production needs.
- Develop and maintain successful working relationships with vendors including event consultants and be main point of contact for them.
- Closely coordinate with Marketing team on invitations, website, social media needs, photography, videography
- Work with VP, Development Strategy coordinating agenda, speaker securing and prep, script writing and program execution elements.
- Prepare and track budgets; source in-kind support to help offset expenses.
- Manage process of accounts payable/receivable detailing revenue and expenses for all event related items.
- Participate in post-event debrief with supervisor and respective departments to capture lessons learned to improve future events.
- Brainstorm ways to measurably increase event participation and effectiveness.
- Stay abreast of event trends and best practices in Dallas and among other local United Ways
- Assist executing in-office events such as All Staff meetings and external partner rentals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist in tracking sponsorships from “ask “through confirmation.
- Ensure the delivery of all promised benefits and work with VP, Development Strategies to prepare and deliver summary of benefit statements to all sponsors (post-event)
- Identify ways by which sponsors may further leverage their sponsorships through marketing and promotional opportunities.
- Highest Integrity as a steward of donor investments
- Passion for the work of the organization
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude
- Action-oriented, hard-worker with an ability to make decisions in a fast-paced, changing, and interactive environment.
- Ability to adapt and operate in a high-speed, dynamic environment.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Strategic thought leader
- Team builder willing to develop and empower staff to get the job done through providing the needed support; strong competency in leading others to meet goals, establishing clear direction, setting objections, and monitoring progress and results in a deadline-driven environment.
EDUCATION: Undergraduate Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent experience. CMP and/or CSEMP preferred but not required
EXPERIENCE: Minimum three years related experience in events and sponsorships required; non-profit events production experience strongly preferred
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills; able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop event and sponsorship strategies, conceptualize unique and memorable events, and measure results.
- Experience executing fundraising events or working with.