Communications and marketing professional on United Way Worldwide’s External Communications team, responsible for researching, imagining, aggregating, writing and publishing the ongoing story of United Way and its impact in communities and around the world.
Work collaboratively with marketing, communications and other internal stakeholders to create and/or distill the most compelling stories and narratives that will drive awareness, adoption and loyalty from our customers and core audiences, such as corporate partners, individual donors, policymakers, community leaders and strategic segments.
Create a variety of content across digital and traditional platforms, including an annual report, blog posts, brochures, infographics, fact sheets, website copy, social media, success stories, scripts and template communications tools for the United Way Network.
Develop and cultivate effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders to deliver communications strategies that clearly articulate and help shape the relationships United Way has with its core audiences. Support core content creation about key organizational initiatives.
Own, create and execute short- and long-term content strategies for the organization.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at an excellent level:
- Drive the content management process, to include leading and defining editorial board meetings, creating quarterly messaging guides, and engaging stakeholders for strategy messaging and topics gathering.
- Oversee and operate the Group’s content management platform, to include training individuals, troubleshooting technology issues, enforcing processes, and engaging the vendor for ongoing content development needs.
- Maintain a story bank by capturing, curating, and organizing content from staff, the Network and other sources on an ongoing basis, while leveraging the story bank—and content therein—as a tool for supporting content needs and strengthening the organizational narrative.
- Plan, produce, and publish the organization’s annual report, to include developing content, engaging subject matter experts, conceptualizing design elements with the creative team, facilitating the review process, and exploring digital and video components to elevate the organization’s impact and brand.
- Strengthen United Way’s narrative and value proposition by serving as the lead storyteller, to include producing content for the blog, social media channels, PR team, websites, marketing collateral, and other needs.
- Lead content marketing campaigns that target the global United Way Network, community cohorts, and corporate partners, and that which align with the Group’s and organization’s priorities.
- Spearhead the development of collateral (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, flyers) in support of program, initiative, product, and organizational marketing, while ensuring the timely delivery of materials.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts to build editorial strategies and create new pathways for the collection and promotion of content.
- Provide strategic counsel to internal stakeholders, while serving as an editorial coach for teams, Groups, and staff members, as well as organizational initiatives.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five to six years of prior relevant work experience.
- It is critical that this person is both a talented storyteller AND a relationship-building project manager.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, storytelling, and content creation.
- Proven experience creating and executing strategic communications plans.
- Ability to develop content on traditional and digital platforms.
- Solution-oriented, strategic thinker and communicator.
- Relationship builder and collaborator.
- Results-oriented, project manager.
- Experience creating an organization’s core messaging collateral (annual report, one-page overview, etc.) required.
- Experience with content management platforms, especially NewsCred preferred.
- Experience communicating to donor audiences a plus.
- International experience a plus.
- Journalist or newsroom background a plus.
Candidates will be required to provide communications credentials–samples of three best pieces of work.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.