United Way improves the lives of underserved individuals in the national capital area by focusing community resources on creating measurable and lasting impact. We fight for the education, health, and economic opportunity of every person in every community.
United Way NCA seeks an experienced nonprofit professional to serve as its Manager of Community Impact (Economic Opportunity) with an emphasis on economic opportunity. The Manager, Community Impact (Economic Opportunity) will work toward long-lasting, meaningful community impact in the National Capital Area by developing relationships, building strategic partnerships, and managing the performance of key programs. Reporting to the Director of Community Impact and Engagement, s/he will be responsible for managing the day-to-day work of United Way NCA’s priorities in the area of economic opportunity, including direct management of our Financial Empowerment Centers, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), and Project Community Connect partnerships. S/he will also collaborate with the full Community Impact team to support ongoing visioning and strategic planning for United Way NCA’s programmatic work and strategic community goals.
Responsibilities and Tasks
• Serve as the primary relationship manager with Financial Empowerment Center partners
• Serve as the primary relationship manager with United Way NCA’s Project Community Connect planning committee and service providers, including nonprofit leaders from throughout the region
• Manage regional partnerships involved in VITA programs as well as explore replicable, innovative ideas for expanding VITA services
• Establish new relationships with high performing community-based organizations (CBOs) that can help drive our impact goals
• Serve as primary contact for nonprofit agencies working on economic opportunity issues
• Implement and manage strategic program based partnerships and collaborations
• Support Director of Community Impact and Engagement and Vice President of Community Impact and Engagement in assessing and iterating upon United Way NCA’s economic opportunity strategic direction
• Attend appropriate CI functions and community events as required, serving as a representative of United Way NCA
Strategic Program Development and Management
• Support strategic partners in meeting ambitious program goals, mobilizing internal resources when needed, and holding partners accountable when needed
• Identify ways to engage donors and volunteers in programs
• Assist with convening nonprofits and community leaders as needed to support the ongoing work of identifying community needs, and prioritizing those for future investment
• Work in lockstep with the other Community Impact Managers and identify opportunities to collaborate, layer, and leverage each other’s portfolio of investments for the purpose of maximizing lasting community impact
• Consult with other United Ways and grant-making organizations to determine best practices and update United Way NCA’s strategies
• Work closely with partners and United Way NCA’s Data and Evaluation Specialist to assist with outcome measurement development
• Provide guidance to agencies on specific outcome requirements and expectations
• Ensure that CBOs have received adequate outcome measurement training and appropriate processes for providing information
• Assess the efficacy of programs based on data
• Support United Way NCA’s Resource Development team to identify resources (grant, donors, foundations, etc..) to support program work
• Other duties as assigned, which could include special projects or assignments with other departments
Research and Advocacy
• Build United Way NCA’s role in the region as a thought leader by keeping up to date on best practices, trends, and research in the economic opportunity area and communicating findings to relevant audiences
• Draft written correspondence, e-mails, memos, reports, and meeting minutes
• Identify opportunities to engage legislators and mobilize stakeholders toward policy changes aligned with United Way NCA’s strategic priorities
• Manage a portfolio of grants related to economic opportunity, veterans programming, and other relevant United Way NCA grant partners
• Develop grant proposal, review and reporting documents utilizing community needs data and funding criteria
• Prepare periodic check requests for grant payments
• Monitor compliance with grant reporting requirements
Specific Skills and Attitudes
• Ability to work on multiple projects and responsibilities concurrently
• High energy, results-oriented
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Able to handle ambiguity and nuance
• Well organized, strong on follow-through
• Strategic, outcomes-oriented mindset
• Highly motivated, self-directed with an entrepreneurial spirit
• Collaborative and team-oriented
• Confidence in engaging with Executive Directors and high-level staff from the nonprofit and corporate sectors
• Open to constructive feedback
• Relevant education, training, and or certifications in project management, economics, workforce/financial training, or related fields.
• 3 - 5 years of related professional experience working to support individuals and families to achieve financial stability.
• Experience with asset building, workforce development, housing, and/or community development
• Excellent analytical ability
• Strong problem solving and process management skills
• Previous experience in managing programs/projects
• Previous experience with relationship/partnership management
• Demonstrated ability to work within a community setting with diverse populations, including community groups, elected and non-elected policymakers, businesses, and volunteers.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and computer applications
• Ability to analyze and manage a key project or program metrics.
• Travel around the Greater Washington area for business purposes is required. Must possess a reliable automobile
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Mission-focused – the ability to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
• Relationship-oriented –an understanding that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator – understands the role and contribution of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources through meaningful engagement.
• Results-driven – dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations.
• Brand steward – a steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
• Ethical Standards – Maintains confidentiality, acts with professional, personal, and behavioral integrity.
• Problem-solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
• Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new things.
• Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills, and conducts meetings.
• Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively, and is able to read and interpret written information.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, and develops realistic action plans.
• Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume directly to Human Resources at https://unitedwaynca.org/about-us/careers/
Successful candidates must pass criminal background and reference checks.
United Way of the National Capital Area
1577 Spring Hill Road, Suite 420, Vienna, VA 22182