The Manager, Community Impact, Economic Mobility, is a member of the Impact team, whose job is to develop and implement research- and evidence-based impact strategies and approaches to advance United Way’s mission and strategy. The Manager supports the Senior Director of Economic Mobility and Corporate Solutions in executing products and strategies that improve the economic mobility of individuals and families. This position is a grant funded position, which will be reviewed on a yearly basis.
The Manager will be responsible for designing and delivering programs, products, tools, and resources that build local United Ways’ capacity in the areas of free tax filing, financial education/coaching, and workforce development. The Manager will also be responsible for evaluating such programs for effectiveness.
The Manager will work in coordination with other teams across United Way Worldwide, including Investor Relations and Marketing. This position is generally responsible for the delivery of assigned work projects within the Impact team and will participate in the development of team action plans, work processes and systems.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Build and manage relationships with local United Ways, non-profit partners, and for-profit partners. Proactively engage key staff, respond to inquiries, and update Impact team colleagues on issues and opportunities.
- Provide project management and on-going support for grant-funded projects that improve network performance in the areas of economic mobility, with a focus on free tax preparation, financial education/coaching and workforce development.
- Specifically, the Manager will be responsible for managing the implementation of United Way’s online free tax filing product, MyFreeTaxes. This includes designing/deploying training to local United Ways, working with internal and external partners to refine marketing materials, communicating with the IRS and other external partners, monitoring tax return data and generating reports, partnering with 211 to manage the customer helpline, and providing information and technical assistance to local United Ways and filers as needed.
- Outside of tax season, the Manager will support the implementation of grant-funded projects focused on financial education/coaching and workforce development. The manager will be responsible for managing grantee learning opportunities e.g. conference calls and webinars, identifying and documenting promising and adaptable practices, collecting and compiling grantee progress reports, responding to grantee questions, and providing general technical assistance.
- Contribute to the Impact Team’s ongoing strategy development and refinement.
- Represent United Way Worldwide and the United Way network at conferences, meetings, forums, and other national and local events as needed. Promote MyFreeTaxes and other United Way economic mobility initiatives. Share trends with internal and external colleagues.
- Coordinate with Impact team members to ensure the timely completion of time-sensitive and cross-cutting tasks – including information requests, knowledge sharing and information management, and meeting planning and communication duties.
- Work collaboratively with other teams and divisions within UWW.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience in a similar role.
- A flexible, creative, and curious approach to work in an environment that is addressing a range of complex community and business issues across a network of 1,400 United Ways in 41 countries.
- Strong project management skills, effectively leveraging available resources to drive results. Proven ability to make smart trade-offs.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a professional staff across a large organization.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with minimal outside direction, while constantly advancing long-term goals.
- Experience with community and national organizations, the business community, and policy advocacy groups is desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and client service-oriented personality.
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, communication, public speaking and management skills.
- Some domestic travel required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE:
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Approved by the United Way U.S.A. Board of Trustees on March 6, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.