Communications professional on United Way Worldwide’s (UWW) Communications team, responsible for researching, imagining, aggregating, writing, and publishing the ongoing story of United Way and its impact in communities around the world. Work collaboratively across the Marketing and Communications department and other internal teams to create and/or distill the most compelling stories and narratives that will drive awareness of and support for UWW’s vision, services and impact from our core audiences such as local United Ways, corporate partners, individual donors, policymakers, community leaders, and the public.
Create a variety of content for digital and traditional platforms including Web copy, social media, blog posts, brochures, infographics, fact sheets, annual reports, testimonials, scripts, and template communications tools for the United Way network.
Develop and cultivate effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders to deliver communications strategies that clearly articulate and help shape the relationships United Way has with its core audiences. Support core content creation about key organizational initiatives.
Own, create, and execute short- and long-term content strategies for the organization. This position requires a communications professional who is as comfortable thinking big picture as executing detailed communications plans.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at an excellent level:
- Own the creation and execution of a content strategy that achieves measurable impact with our core audiences.
- Develop and execute strategic communications plans to help advance organizational goals in support of external relationships, consumer-facing services, initiatives, and partnerships.
- Articulate United Way’s story, narrative, and value proposition to external audiences through writing and editing marketing and communications materials, such as blogs and other website content, video, infographics, brochures, fact sheets, social media content, success stories, donor campaign materials, PowerPoint presentations, and other tools to tell the story of United Way’s work with multi-sector partners.
- Proactively look for and develop new opportunities to elevate the United Way brand on national and global levels. Manage existing opportunities and partnerships to maximize external stakeholder engagement and mutual brand lift.
- Offer strategic guidance and counsel to other departments who want to promote consumer- or partner-facing initiatives.
- Manage communications projects from start to finish, including coordinating with colleagues around advertising, social media, websites, PR, print material, and other elements of marketing and communication.
- Provide support for updating content on UWW digital channels including unitedway.org and intranet site.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's degree plus between five to six years of prior relevant work experience. It is critical that this person is both a talented storyteller AND a relationship-building project manager.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, storytelling, and content creation
- Proven experience creating and executing strategic communications plans including establishing measures of success
- Ability to develop content for traditional and digital platforms
- Solution-oriented, strategic thinker and communicator
- Relationship builder and collaborator
- Results-oriented, project manager with a strong attention to detail
- Strong cultural competencies and ability to effectively communicate to a diverse, global audience
- Experience creating and/or contributing to an organization’s core messaging collateral (annual report, one-page overview, etc.)
- Experience with design software a plus
- Experience communicating to donor audiences a plus
- International experience a plus
- Journalist or newsroom background a plus
NOTE: Candidates will be required to provide communications credentials – samples of three best pieces of work.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. Thank you.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
We have established a salary range of $74,000 to $85,00 for this position. Specific pay is determined by your experience in that range. Highly recommend applicants include salary requirements when completing application.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail Jennifer.Chavez@uww,unitedway.org or call 703-683-7874 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more. Most benefits begin on the first day of the month following your start date.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.