GRANT FUNDED THROUGH 3/31/2019
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT: The BBAPI Manager is responsible for providing leadership and oversight to the Binghamton-Broome Anti-Poverty Initiative (BBAPI). The primary role of the Manager is to ensure the development of a comprehensive community-based strategy designed to reduce poverty and promote financial prosperity throughout Broome County. S/he is responsible for working in partnership with the established BBAPI Steering Committee, BBAPI Core Leadership Team, United Way of Broome County (UWBC) leadership, and external community partners and residents throughout Broome County to achieve shared community results. S/he is also responsible for ensuring all aspects of BBAPI adhere to the Collective Impact initiative model (learn more at www.collectiveimpactforum.org).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise a team of staff and AmeriCorps/VISTA members to implement strategic BBAPI initiatives.
- In partnership with UWBC leadership, coordinate and integrate all aspects of Collective Impact process into work of BBAPI.
- In partnership with UWBC and BBAPI, consider multiple pathways to sustaining a coordinated effort to address poverty in Broome County.
- Maintain a variety of public contacts to strengthen and promote BBAPI at the local, state, and national level and maintain positive working relationships with other Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative (ESPRI) municipalities, including those lead by United Ways and those lead by other agencies.
- Utilize data, research, and best practices to inform decision-making and problem solving processes.
- Serve as key contact with Steering Committee, Core Leadership Team, Work Teams, and all public and private stakeholders interacting with the initiative.
- Foster positive working relationships with and between key stakeholders, Steering Committee, Core Leadership Team, Work Teams, internal staff, and external partners, including community residents and volunteers.
- Recommend necessary changes to meet strategic goals.
- Provide leadership and support to BBAPI to include coordination for all BBAPI meetings, partner engagement and development, and timely and accurate completion of all required contracts and reports.
- Coordinate advocacy efforts with local and state partners to maximize impact.
- Encourage an inclusive process which allows for diverse voices to be a part of all BBAPI planning efforts.
- Represent BBAPI and UWBC at all related community events, work groups, and planning events as requested by the Director of Community Initiatives & Planning.
- Develop and manage effective communication strategies, such as written correspondence, website, social networking, and listserv, to strengthen communication between stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate the role of UWBC in the coordination and oversight of BBAPI.
- Coordinate efforts with economic development groups including but not limited to the Southern Tier Regional Economic Development Council (STREDC), the Upstate Revitalization Initiative (URI), and all other economic development groups in Broome County.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal rules, regulations, and funding requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates for the position will possess the following:
Education and Experience:
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in business, public administration, social work, or a related field and two years of experience in leading a Collective Impact initiative, community organizing, public policy, program development, community education, and/or economic development.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree in business, economics, law, public administration, social work, or a related field and five years of experience in leading a Collective Impact initiative, community organizing, public policy, program development, community education, and/or economic development.
- Financial skills including the ability to manage overall BBAPI budget, prepare and submit financial reports, and utilize financial software.
- Verbal and written communication skills to include the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely, engage others, and take into consideration the perspectives of others.
- Visioning and strategic thinking skills to include the ability to think long-term, challenge imaginations about how the community should work, and create a vision which captures the mind and energizes others to commit to the vision.
- Strategic and operational planning skills to include the ability to create long term objectives and strategies for meeting goals, allocate resources based on priorities, maintain accountability, utilize personnel and other resources efficiently to accomplish projects, and anticipate and plan for potential obstacles.
- Tactical planning and plan management skills to include the ability to translate strategic plans and goals into an organized, well-detailed effort to accomplish a specific project or initiative and to monitor, adjust, and manage the initiative to successful completion.
- Problem solving and decision making skills to include the ability to identify, analyze, organize, and solve problems in a timely and effective manner; and to use data and inputs from other to make sound decisions
- Interpersonal skills to include the ability to appeal to reason, values, or emotion to generate enthusiasm for the work, commitment to task objectives, or compliance with orders and requests; and the ability to build leverage, and maintain mutually positive relationships which provide support for and add value to United Way, its programs, and the community.
- Coalition/Partnership building skills to include the ability to cooperate/ collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders to clearly define their objectives and to identify solutions and plans to help them reach their desired goals.
- Leadership and management skills to include the ability to develop individual abilities among team members by coaching, mentoring, advising, and challenging others to improve; address performance problems in a fair and timely manner; foster individual team members for advancement; effectively delegate tasks to team members; foster teamwork; and coordinate completion of team tasks.
For consideration please send resume and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com or via mail to
United Way of Broome County, Inc., Attn: Finance, PO Box 550, Binghamton, NY 13902-0550