The United Way of Central Carolinas located in Charlotte, NC fights for the education, health, and financial stability of every person in our community. We are 55,000 donors strong among 2,000 corporate partners, all powering 110+ nonprofits across five counties.
Objective of Role:
The Major Gifts Officer will develop relationships in our community to help philanthropists understand the true collective impact of a gift to the United Way of Central Carolinas. United Way is focused on growing revenue to provide opportunity for all in our community. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Major Gifts Officer is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors with a specific focus on donors at the $10,000+ levels. Our new teammate will serve as an outward-facing member of the Resource Development team and will represent UWCC with the highest integrity and professionalism.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Oversee portfolio of 200-250 donors and prospects.
- Participate in each step of the donor pipeline including: identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; request for support; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Develop individual donor strategies, along with materials, to renew and upgrade donor gifts.
- Collaborate with the Executive Leadership Team at UWCC, Board of Directors and Campaign Cabinet to enhance relationships and create greater fundraising and outreach possibilities.
- Participate in departmental portfolio review process and be a partner in maintaining an organized system for donor stewardship by updating constituent records, as appropriate.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated experience, success, and progressive responsibility in fundraising/sales with a minimum of three to five years’ experience.
- Ability to set goals strategically and oversee execution.
- High level of discretion and possess an ethical approach to fundraising.
- Proven ability to interact and influence philanthropic leaders.
- Experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with various internal and external constituents.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in database management, Microsoft Office Suite, and other computer skills, as required.
- Passion for UWCC mission to strategically invest the collective power of donors, advocates and volunteers, to drive measurable outcomes that drive economic mobility and provide opportunity to all in our community.
- Ability to work non-regular hours including nights & weekends as needed.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Master’s Degree Preferred
- CFRE Preferred
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.