Why Work for United Way? Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. You’ll learn from some of the best in the business and be constantly challenged in an ever-changing industry. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team. If you are motivated, hard-working and passionate, United Way may be the perfect place for you. Successful candidates will have experience creating and fostering connections to aligns the interests of donors with the needs of our community. You must be able to communicate effectively with your team, manage details with ease, and provide excellent internal and external customer service.
Objectives & Expectations
Reporting to the VP of Foundation and Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will manage a portfolio of high level current and prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these individuals and corporations. The MGO is expected to spend time in the field meeting and interfacing with key constituents and prospects in order to identify capacity with a goal of increasing the number of new donors and elevating current donors to greater gift levels. This successful candidate needs to be a forward thinking, an experienced fundraising professional who can be a highly collaborative member of the Major Gifts Team and close partner to our outstanding volunteer and executive leadership teams.
Core Job Responsibilities
• Work closely with the VP of Foundation and Major Gifts to determine key metrics, accountability and reporting mechanisms aligned with performance, growth and gratitude objectives for Major Giving and the Foundation
• Successfully manage a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects and build deep donor relationships with assigned individuals and organizations • Manage prospects and donors through the moves management pipeline
• Develop a specific strategy to continually identify, cultivate and solicit individuals and organizations capable of making major gifts to the organization
• Assist the VP of Foundation and Major Gifts and CEO in strategic relationship building
• Ensure all donors receive appropriate, prompt acknowledgement and updates on the impact of their gifts
• Support and attend key leadership fundraising events
• Make 5-8 calls per week on donors and prospective donors with a strategy for each call
• Plan, organize, and implement a year round major giving program for both donors and prospects
• Responsible for materials development, recruitment, recognition, solicitation, promotions, event planning, volunteer activities, training and presentations
• Recruit and manage volunteer leaders
• Define, achieve and analyze annual and multi-year giving goals and report results • Network and actively promote United Way with key donors and at community events
• Other duties as assigned
• Increased donations • Increased donors
• Donor retention • Number of calls/visits – 5-8 per week
Key Skills Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree • Seven (+) years of fundraising experience • Ability to handle complex situations with tact and poise, appropriately representing the UWSHR brand
• Successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of donors and prospects
• Demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving and exceeding results
• Ability to plan and implement long- and short-range development initiatives to meet established priorities
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies
• Strong interpersonal skills, as well as problem-solving, research, analytical, organizational, and verbal/written communication skills
• Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors
• Working knowledge of CRM database software; Microsoft Office skills are required
• Must be willing to travel and must have a driver’s license; weekend and evening work will be required Interested?
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.