United Way of Olmsted County, Inc.
TITLE: MAJOR GIFTS AND PLANNED GIVING ASSOCIATE
Reports to: Vice President of Resource Development
United Way of Olmsted County is a community change organization that fights for the education, health, and financial stability of every person in our community. United Way fights to erase divisions, bridge divides, and right inequities. We connect people with resources that change lives and transform our community.
The Major Gifts and Planned Giving Associate will develop and implement a development program for planned giving and major giving. Using both technical information and a donor centered philosophy, coordinate ongoing donor relationships through regular contact, communication and recognition.
United Way of Olmsted County is committed to advancing equity in its work. Equity seeks to undo discrimination and bias to create a just and fair society in which all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We invite applications from underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. People of all races, ethnicities, genders, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
Major Gifts: (60%)
Work with high annual income individuals to solicit annual gifts of $10,000 plus
With key volunteers and staff, identify prospects, conduct confidential donor research, develop solicitation strategies, solicit gifts and provide recognition
Work with corporate presidents and executives at the workplace and individuals not at the workplace to identify, cultivate, solicit and recognize higher income donors
Coordinate strategy with staff and volunteers to insure all giving initiatives are fully integrated into the campaign effort
Facilitate the transfer of gifts other than cash such as real estate and securities that require planned giving expertise
Planned Giving: (20%)
Work with volunteers to solicit major outright gifts and gifts that requires planning and the assistance of financial-planners, attorneys, CPA’s to accomplish
Women United & Power of the Purse (20%)
Work with volunteers to plan programming for Women United as well as our signature event, Power of the Power
I. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop strategies and business plan for major gifts and planned giving program.
- Articulate the aims and objectives of the United Way major gifts and planned giving program, and seek active community support.
- Develop and support the major gifts and planned giving by assisting with prospecting, correspondence, events and administration.
- Supervise and participate in the recruiting, organizing and training of volunteers.
- Prepare and maintain account profile information for major gift and planned giving donors and prospects.
- Maintain accurate database on all major gift and planned giving accounts.
- Integrate major gifts activities with the annual campaign.
- Act as United Way representative at various community functions and on appropriate committees.
- Participate in cross-functional activities in support of organizational goals.
- Have a clear perspective and promote United Way of Olmsted County’s mission, vision and the value proposition for major giving and planned giving.
- Provides leadership in development of a marketing plan to include development of marketing materials such as brochures, advertisements, newsletters and other materials necessary for effectively promoting the program.
- Conducts prospect research by collecting, compiling and analyzing data to identify potential donors.
- Prepares and analyzes reports to evaluate marketing and soliciting methods and accomplishments.
- Provides effective donor recognition program.
- Establishes and fosters relationships with volunteers, donors and potential donors.
II. Other Responsibilities as Assigned.
- Communication Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Self Directed
- Detail Orientated
- Analytical Skills
- Speaking Ability
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time Management Skills
MINIMUM JOB STANDARDS
- Bachelors degree in Marketing, Communications, Finance, Business or applicable field
- CFRE Preferred
- Combination of four years experience in planned giving, fund raising for non-profit organizations, sales, marketing and/or financial planning.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be substituted (minimum 3 years related experience required).
- Three years planned giving experience preferred.
- With objectives provided by supervisor, must be able to able to develop and implement methods, and follow through with a plan to achieve results.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with individuals at all socio-economic levels
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to motivate and inspire donors, volunteers and staff
- Basic understanding of the principles and vehicles of major and planned giving
- Must be able to work productively and positively with all staff.
- Must be able to organize, manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must follow/adhere to organization’s policies and procedures.
- Must be able to perform basic math functions.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must maintain neat, well-groomed, professional appearance and behavior.