We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
LOCATION: Boston, MA
STATUS: Exempt, Part-time
The Individual Giving and Leadership Gifts Officer is responsible for achieving clearly defined revenue goals by cultivating relationships with high net-worth donors and prospects in an effort to ensure maximum engagement of our donors which will ultimately lead to improved donor retention, acquisition, and growth across various channels. This position will cultivate and solicit leadership contributors and prospects through workplace campaigns, community-based efforts in their hometowns, mailings, and fundraising events and engagement opportunities. This position is also responsible for establishing, enhancing and leveraging key internal relationships in order to achieve optimal results.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
The position is responsible for achieving annual revenue goals in total dollars and donor retention, growth, and acquisition. The ideal candidate for this position will achieve these goals with success in the following areas:
I. What: Meet revenue and established goals
How: Cultivate relationships with and solicit a portfolio of high net-worth donors and prospects in the Seacoast region including Women United volunteers and donors. Execute a moves management plan for a portfolio of donors and prospects. The plan will include goals for face to face visits, personal phone calls and handwritten notes for his/her portfolio. Engage in research/utilize existing information to effectively leverage relationships.
II. What: Support implementation of the established moves management plan
How: Support the Vice President of Individual Giving and Leadership Gifts in implementing a recruitment and retention plan for individual donors to further cultivate relationships for annual support. Help determine potential gift amounts and/or collaborative activities in order to increase annual support. Help to prepare routine analysis and monitor revenue and expense goals.
III. What: Communicate effectively with colleagues about donors and prospects
How: Enter all meeting notes into UWMB’s Andar database system within 5 business days of each visit. Alert Development staff as relevant to any time-sensitive knowledge gained as a result of visits that could be leveraged for the good of United Way and the community. Build and enhance relationships with internal colleagues in order to build trust and achieve optimal results. Participate in Community Impact and Development educational opportunities offered to UW staff.
IV. What: Develop and implement strategies to maximize donor and prospect contact and ultimately revenue
How: Utilize a consultative approach with donors and prospects. Ensure that individual goals are aligned with the organizational goals and account plans of workplace-based colleagues. Build and support a Leadership Giving Volunteer Committee. Work with corporate relations to secure individual giving support for Thrive event. Work with stewardship and engagement team to provide Leadership donors a meaningful donor experience and direct line of sight to our work.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 3-5 years of fundraising or transferable experience in either the private or non-profit sector
- Experience and understanding of consultative engagement approach preferred
- Experience and ability to build strong relationships with donors with the goal of connecting donors to our work
- Demonstrated ability to build strong internal partnerships across the entire organization and obtain buy-in that will allow programming to be effectively executed
- Ability to influence others, especially colleagues without a reporting relationship
- Strong customer service and stewardship skills including the ability to gain consensus and to tie United Way benefits to the donors’ needs
- Ability to think strategically but with an emphasis on having a strong ability to execute plans (action-oriented)
- Ability to take initiative and be creative in thinking and solutions
- Commitment to accountability.
- Commitment to becoming and staying knowledgeable about our impact strategies and programming.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation skills including the ability to persuade and connect audiences to our work in the community
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook and the ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to a changing environment
- Passionate commitment to the North Shore and/or Merrimack Valley community and willingness to engage personal established networks in those communities
- Ability to receive sensitive financial and personal information discreetly.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment required. Experience with data management systems strongly preferred
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS PLEASE FORWARD RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210