United Way of Broward County fights for the Health, Education and Financial Prosperity of everyone in our community.
General Description: Responsible for developing and promoting the United Way of Broward County (UWBC)’s Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention (Commission) and its work to Broward County through outreach, presentations in both person and virtual platforms, media relationships, preparing announcements, newsletters, and other written materials. The incumbent in this position will focus on generating favorable publicity with a major emphasis on expanding the public knowledge of UWBC’s Commission and its programs. This is a field opportunity that will require a lot of street outreach.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Acts as a liaison between United Way Commission on Substance Abuse and external stakeholders like the Broward Behavioral Health Coalition (BBHC) and the Department of Children and Families (DCF).
- Provides or arranges trainings, technical assistance, and workforce development for providers, community coalitions and Broward County residents related to Substance Use and Mental Health Promotion topics.
- Works within the Commission on Strategic Plan implementing Information Dissemination, Substance Abuse Prevention Evidence-Based programs or other promising practices.
- Establishes both formal and informal alliances with organizations which have similar or allied goals, such as the School Board, local law enforcement, health care providers, community centers, and service providers.
- Prepares internal and external communications, assuring accuracy and timeliness of communications such as; op-eds, speaking points, campaign materials, speeches, electronic newsletters, presentations, targeted brochures, flyers and invitations.
- Tracks and measures activity results, reports on digital and social media trends and works with others to promote, develop and implement related initiatives to achieve organizational goals.
Other Job Duties:
- Manages and implements community initiatives such as for the Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention.
- Administers all pre- and post-program evaluation tools.
- Meet with and enlist key local stakeholders, coalitions, and service providers to promote the goals of the Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention
- Organizes, coordinate or assist in the organization of activities, such as the annual Hispanic Parenting Conference, Health/Community Fairs, Town Hall meetings, Commission task forces and other events to support prevention awareness consistent with the Community Action Plan.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory support documentation and data entry which complies with contract requirements for timelines and accuracy.
- Responsible for prompt compliance with all Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention and/or United Way of Broward County regulations and requirements.
- Maintains productivity requirement and expected billable units per week.
- Responsible and accountable for attendance at Commission Meetings supervision meetings, and audit preparation meetings.
- Formulates, writes, prepares, and publishes quarterly newsletter. Writes collateral material and assures publication and distribution according to special event timelines.
- Represents the Commission, cultivates relationships with media contacts and sponsors, assuring proper follow up, and follow through to assure excellent customer relations.
- Takes responsibility for other assignments as they arise in the development of public relations activities.
- Manages sensitive issues and crisis communications.
- Serve as a resource with Media Architect regarding updating the Commission website and assist with the sites re-design.
- Creates/seeks opportunities to extend the Commission message to other community agencies, funders and other organizations in conjunction with commission staff and the Marketing.
- Responsible for the coordination of the Commission’s photography needs and accompanies photographer with shot list, direction and retrieves name information at events.
- Ensures effective and timely marketing and communications support to Commission staff.
- Ensure projects for review, proofreading and approvals meet deadlines.
- Assists in training staff on Commission’s brand and key messages.
- Works in a team environment and will have close inter-departmental relationships
- Insures products/materials produced by Commission contain grant related requirements and educational messages
- Serves as a resource to Commission staff in all aspects of material development, ordering of materials.
- Maintains accurate media list, including print, radio, television, and company newsletters.
- Perform duties as needed and/or requested to support and maintain accreditation standards and continuous quality improvement.
- Must be able to be at work on a consistent basis with regular attendance and punctuality and be willing and able to handle all the duties and responsibilities of this position on a daily basis.
- Responds appropriately and effectively to the diversity of co-workers, consumers and stakeholders.
- Due to the leadership role UWBC is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all UWBC staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
Combination of education and experience represented by:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent, including 3 years’ experience in public relations, advertising, communications, or marketing.
- Certified Prevention Professional, preferred.
- Experience with video and photography.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with or knowledge of UWBC operations desirable.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust to multiple assignments with potentially conflicting timelines
- Will be required to work frequent evenings and weekends.
- Must drive to various outreach locations in Broward. MUST have and maintain reliable transportation.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.