Why Work for United Way
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do, and we know how much our community needs us. You’ll learn from some of the best in the business and be constantly challenged in an ever-changing industry. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team.
If you are motivated, hard-working and passionate, United Way may be the perfect place for you. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated attention to detail, strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills, proven ability to collaborate and case management experience.
Objectives & Expectations
The United Way improves lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good to help all residents thrive and live the best version of themselves. We all benefit when a child succeeds in school, when someone finds a job that sustains a family, or when more people get quality, affordable healthcare.
The Lead Case Manager will be responsible for receiving clients (veterans, service members and their dependents) using a prescribed intake process either by phone or in person, initiating the Mission United CARES Case Management System. The primary role is to work directly with clients and their needs. The Case Manager will work directly with the Director, Mission United.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Build relationships with each client who registers for Mission United CARES services
- Handles incoming calls from existing or future clients, answering their questions and sorting out issues relating to their Mission United system needs using approved Network Service Providers in the Mission United CARES system
- Makes referrals to one of the approved Mission United CARES Network Service Providers, qualifying the individual based on each agency’s eligibility criteria, capacity, location and on client preferences/circumstances
- Must use active listening, probing, play-back and style-matching skills to evaluate each client’s needs
- Will navigate through the Mission United CARES system to access the appropriate information to assist each client
- Remains connected with clients throughout the entire process, conducting follow-up calls, meetings and visits as required ensuring all aspects are executed
- Follows up with service providers on client progress – reports out on partner effectiveness and efficiency
- Updates monthly goals, makes appropriate referrals for other needed services and keeps clients on the path to self-sufficiency
- Informs Lead Case Manager of process improvement opportunities
- Adheres to agency policies, procedures and the professional code of ethics
- Maintains required records and database information for clients in UniteUS and other applicable databases. Records all client information in the Mission United CARES case management system for follow up and reporting.
- Observes confidentiality, privacy and dignity of each client
- Works with other Mission United staff to capture overall client activity and outcome reports
- Participates in staff meetings and training programs and aids the development of positive team relationships
- Leverages strong interpersonal skills and community service provider knowledge to execute daily client-centric activities
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills Requirements
- Professional expertise in case management
- Degree in Social Work or related discipline
- Experience in human services programs requiring direct client interactions, accountability and progress reporting
- Military (or military spouse) experience required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines, keep schedules, manage partner agency relationships and perform in a high-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply basic concepts in new situations
- Organizational Skills: the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and follow up in a timely manner
- Proven ability to collaborate and work in a team environment as well as work independently and make sound decisions
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word and Excel
- Strong detail orientation and self-organized
- Ability to build credible relationships with individual veterans and their families
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
Interested? Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.