Job Announcement – Rental Assistance Specialist Positions
United Way of King County works to build a community where all people have homes, students graduate, and families are financially stable. Our culture fosters collaboration, teamwork, open communication, leadership, integrity, and accountability.
With our unwavering focus on racial justice for all, we hope to achieve racially equitable outcomes in King County and beyond. We believe that having staff, volunteers, and supportive community members who represent diverse backgrounds and circumstances will help us more effectively accomplish our mission. We aim to a create a welcoming and inclusive work environment, and we also strive to have a diverse staff and particularly encourage Black and Indigenous people, and people of color to apply and join our team.
These positions support the Home Base Rental Assistance Program to help prevent evictions and homelessness in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides rental help to thousands of eligible households and works with landlords and tenants to resolve outstanding rental debt. Major areas of focus for the role include reviewing tenant rent applications for eligibility, providing customer service, carrying out administrative duties, and supporting outreach efforts for clients. This is a time-limited role based on grant funding. The positions are expected to end June 30, 2022, with a possible extension for 6-18 months. There are up to three positions open.The compensation for the role is $25 per hour. This posting will remain open until all the positions are filled.
*Full COVID-19 vaccination is required for this role (proof of vaccination will be requested during the onboarding process for the successful candidate).
• Supports the implementation of the King County and Seattle Rental Assistance Program.
• Reviews tenant rental applications in a timely manner on a rolling basis for program eligibility and documentation compliance. Processes around 20 applications per week.
• Connects with tenants to assist with the application process by using phone/text, email, and/or mailed communication.
• Communicates quickly and effectively with tenants and landlords regarding program guidelines and application status.
• Gathers all necessary documentation and information to evaluate client eligibility for rental assistance, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
• Collaborates with Home Base partners and fellow Rental Assistance Program Specialists to carry out process improvements and to strengthen racial equity outcomes.
• Enters timely and accurate updates on tenant and landlord data in the program database.
• Assists with customer service efforts for landlords and tenants including monitoring email and phone messages. Performs general office administration work, and other related duties as assigned.
• Incorporates new technology as needed and navigates confidential information systems appropriately.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
DISCLAIMER: This job position performs other assignments and duties as assigned. The contents of this job description may change as deemed necessary by United Way of King County.
• Passionate about preventing homelessness.
• Demonstrated well-developed community outreach skills.
• Able to communicate with diverse populations in an empathetic and professional manner.
• Demonstrated commitment to upholding racial equity and dismantling racism.
• Strong commitment to client confidentiality.
• Detail-oriented, able to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information.
• Able to multi-tasking efficiently; has effective time management skills.
• Highly skilled at leveraging new technology, social media, and other communication tools on a daily basis.
• Excellent organizational and follow-through skills in a fast-paced environment.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Previous case management experience desired.
• Ability to speak other languages desired.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate degree preferred. Two (2) years of experience in office administration, community outreach, case management, and/or program/project support is highly desirable.
UWKC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. United Way of King County values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color to apply.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
United Way of King County is an exceptional workplace that can provide you with:
• Opportunities to work with smart, passionate, and enthusiastic team members and volunteers
• Ongoing collaboration with diverse staff and other constituents
• A desirable culture of high-performance expectations and accountability
• Exciting and challenging work
• Opportunities to help solve the community's toughest problems
• Competitive pay that is commensurate with demonstrated successful performance and experience
• Many other benefits that we are happy to discuss with you
Please apply online via the following link. You will be asked to upload your resume and provide a cover letter as well as complete the UWKC application.
***Applicants MUST apply at the UWKC Career Center to be considered for this position.***
Protecting the health and safety of our communities is a top priority. Due to the circumstances surrounding the pandemic, all interviews will be conducted remotely for the time being. We will provide candidates who are selected for interviews with all the required instructions for the interview process.
United Way of King County values workplace flexibility. Our office is currently closed, and staff are working remotely until March 7, 2022. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation as well as the overall health of our community and we may adjust the office opening date as needed. When our office does reopen, we will offer a hybrid approach combining in-office work and remote work for our staff.
Please note that proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for this role