UNITED WAY OF SOUTH HAMPTON ROADS
Director, Women United
Title: The Joan P. Brock Endowed Director of Women United ($75,000 - $85,000)
Department: Marketing & Strategy
Report To: Chief Marketing & Strategy Officer
Why Work for United Way
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. You’ll learn from some of the best in the business and be constantly challenged in an ever-changing industry. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team. If you are motivated, hard-working and passionate, United Way may be the perfect place for you.
Objectives & Expectations
United Way improves lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common
good to help all residents thrive and live the best version of themselves. We all benefit when a child
succeeds in school, when someone finds a job that sustains a family, or when more people get quality, affordable healthcare. United Way endeavors to drive measurable impact by focusing and accelerating our current agenda centered around economic mobility, education, and health initiatives while remaining responsive to community needs with flexibility to respond to critical needs and crises.
UWSHR seeks a fundraising leader to help manage our largest leadership giving society and one of the most successful Women United chapters in the nation. The Director of Women United is responsible for working with the Chief Marketing & Strategy Officer to develop and implement a strategy to identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit gifts from within our local community as members of Women United. To be successful, this individual will need to work proactively and collaboratively
with other departments to plan events and communications that lead to year-round engagement. The Director of Women United is expected to spend 75% of their time in the field meeting and interfacing with key constituents and prospects to increase membership and giving, and is ultimately responsible for a portfolio of $2.5M in revenue and over 700 members. The successful candidate must have the essential skills and standard concepts, practices and procedures of consultative selling and overall relationship building, and be able to work effectively within the department and across teams to supports all leadership and legacy giving.
The Director of Women United will also have access to a Donor Relations & Marketing Coordinator for up to 20 hours of admin support (more or less as needed based on seasonality) each week to ensure the Director can focus the majority of their time and attention on relationship building and development activities.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Execution and management of Women United initiative that consists of but is not limited to cultivation/solicitation/recruitment of prospective members, retain current members and identify new Women United leadership prospects
- Develop strategies that drive increases in engagement, membership and giving
- Provide leadership in the identification and recruitment of board and council members
- Successfully manage a portfolio of donors and prospects and build deep donor relationships with assigned individuals
- Work closely with key volunteers to ensure proper cultivation and stewardship activities with members giving $5,000+
- Work closely with marketing on all material development, newsletter content, recognition, volunteer activities, training and presentations for Women United
- Manage all aspects of the volunteer boards, councils and committees to include communication, meetings, reporting and goal setting as deemed appropriate by board chairs
- Working with the Marketing Department, serve as the lead on assigned events by soliciting sponsorships, assisting in the planning and development of event materials, and cultivate and solicit prospects through post-event follow-ups in a timely manner
- Prepare volunteers, CEO, VP of Foundation & Major Gifts and others for the solicitation of prospects, accompany them as needed and assist in soliciting gifts personally in face-to-face meetings
- Work with Workplace Campaign Account Owners to ensure they understand and promote Women United during the campaign
- Help provide guidance and support to other UWSHR leadership societies
- Help to manage and grow the Women United Endowment Fund (currently at $10.4M)
- Support campaign activities as needed which may include managing a small list of corporate accounts with a high population of Women United members
- Identify and attend key networking events within the community
- Manage 50% of a coordinators time for support with scheduling, meeting minutes, logistics and other admin tasks
- Other duties as assigned
- Increase total assets in the Women United Endowment Fund
- Complete 16 face-to-face meetings and 80 meaningful interactions per month
- Increase total Women United membership, dollars raised and retention
- Increase number of people who attend function(s)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7+ years of development and/or customer relationship building experience
- Ability to handle complex situations with tact and poise, appropriately representing the UWSHR brand
- Successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of donors and prospects
- Demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving and exceeding results
- Ability to plan and implement long- and short-range strategic initiatives to meet established priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies
- Strong problem-solving, research, analytical, organizational and verbal/written communication skills
- Must be willing to travel and must have a driver’s license; weekend and evening work will be required
- Ability to work independently with a strong work ethic, high degree of self-motivation, initiative and work well under pressure
- Volunteer and committee management skills
- Proficient computer skills, CRM experience preferred
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and
progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must
have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Interested? Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
United Way of South Hampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at UWSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. UWSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics. Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.