ABOUT THE UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
The internship provides an opportunity to gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization. This opportunity is open to recent graduates or current students of a college program. The intern is expected to demonstrate a keen interest in nonprofits, as well as have project management abilities, proficiency with technology, attention to detail, flexibility in handling multiple projects, and ability to sometimes handle and protect confidential information.
This internship will run from early September 2018 – early December 2018.
The Intern will be a part of the United Way Worldwide Development Department. The department works to raise funds from foundation and other institutional donors to support the mission of United Way Worldwide – to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good.
The Intern’s main task will be to support the development department by conducting prospect research; updating donor/prospect profiles for UWW programs; and conducting general administrative support. In addition, the intern may also have opportunities to draft communications to prospects and support proposal development. The intern will also be encouraged to meet with United Way staff in multiple departments including public policy and advocacy, international fundraising, international network, human trafficking, marketing, research, and other areas. This provides a significant opportunity to conduct internal networking and career information gathering. The Intern will also be required to attend trainings on nonprofit management and development via webinars at United Way Worldwide. These trainings will help the intern develop important skills to work in the nonprofit sector and/or advocacy, particularly regarding fundraising.
- Understand the mission and objectives of UWW
- Research donors and prospects for UWW programs to continue building a prospect pipeline
- Attend meetings on fundraising and project goals and take notes at those meetings
- Provide editing support for donor and prospect communications
- Support gathering information to submit into the donor database, Salesforce.
- Work with others in the Investor Relations team to learn and support their development/fundraising initiatives.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- The internship opportunity is open to recent graduates or current students of college programs.
- Background or interest in nonprofits, fundraising, or other relevant fields.
- Must have strong project management, technology and communication skills along with being detail oriented. Ability to multi-task. Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team. Must be flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment. Selection will be based on project delivery experience, GPA/academic achievement, extracurricular/civic activities, and strong interest in a potential career in the nonprofit industry, especially in fundraising/development.
- Strong working knowledge of all Microsoft Suite products, specifically Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to protect confidential donor information and to sign a non-disclosure agreement before internship commences.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community. As the largest private nonprofit in the world, United Way’s work effects over 1,800 communities around the globe. We specialize in forming community-led solutions to the world’s toughest problems. Learn more at www.unitedway.org.
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.