United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
The internship opportunities are open to current students attending a college or university and will be within 2 years of graduating. Applicants must be eligible to work within the United States and have all documentation at the time of their application, including a Social Security Number. Internship schedules will generally be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, days where we have the most staff on site.
United Way Worldwide is building a centralized customer service & support model and team, charged with providing enterprise-wide consistent, transparent, accountable, and seamless experiences for United Way staff, donors, partners, and the general public. The Enterprise Support intern will play a key role within United Way Worldwide’s Enterprise Support team by advancing the customer support experience, process, team, and culture to empower world-class service and success. This includes provision of reliable self-service experience, knowledge resources and participation in a broader knowledge management initiative.
An intern will have the opportunity to complete a project from start to finish, gain knowledge management skills and certifications, assist the knowledge management cleanup efforts, collaborate with the United Way network, and train organizational members on knowledge management standards.
- Develop and maintain knowledge resources aligned with content governance, becoming proficient in naming conventions, style guides, meta data requirements, and more. Training will be provided by our Enterprise Support Team.
- Conduct discovery sessions with multiple departments and local United Ways, collaborating with the Enterprise Support team to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Train and support knowledge authors and content creators within our network and internal offices, promoting adherence to knowledge base standards.
- Assist in the cleanup efforts of our global extranet, United Way Online, ensuring accurate up-to-date knowledge resources for our network.
- Provide ongoing support to the Enterprise Support team, contributing to the seamless experiences of United Way staff, donors, partners, and the network.
- Share valuable feedback to drive continuous improvements in the customer experience.
Analytical Mindset: Demonstrate strong analytical skills to identify patterns, solve problems, and improve processes.
- Organizational Excellence: Exhibit exceptional organizational skills, ensuring efficient management of projects and resources.
- Effective Communication: Possess excellent verbal and written communication abilities to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Writing Proficiency: Showcase strong writing skills, creating compelling and concise content for knowledge resources.
- Technical Literacy: Display familiarity with web-based databases and software tools, with a willingness to learn and adapt.
- Collaboration: Thrive both independently and in team settings, contributing to group projects and taking ownership of solo assignments.
- Attention to Detail: Show meticulous attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and precision in knowledge resources.
- Time Management: Successfully manage competing priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in library science and knowledge management
- Knowledge of Salesforce CRM or similar
- Knowledge of User Experience (UX)
- Experience building content governance models, content curation processes, style guides, and/or managing content repositories
- Weekly meetings and supplemental professional development workshops provided virtually
- Earn a Knowledge Management Certification (KCS) from the Knowledge Centered Service Consortium
- Complete a learning plan according to school’s requirements for those receiving a grade
- Chance to meet and work with nonprofit subject matter experts and leaders at UWW
This internship takes place virtually and remotely in lieu of onsite coordination at the United Way Worldwide office at 701 N. Fairfax St., Alexandria, VA 22314.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.