You believe in a culture of inclusive excellence and value the differences that make us each unique. You are professional and kind; curious and passionate about your work and studies; seek a stimulating and rewarding internship; and, sincere in your desire to help others. Join our internship program and gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way brings people, organizations, and communities together around a common cause, a common vision, and a common path forward. In many communities, we're the only nonprofit building up the cornerstones of education, financial stability and health—and the only nonprofit bringing people together from all walks of life to be a part of local solutions. We're engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories, where people are powering big ideas and big action by donating, volunteering and speaking out through United Way.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. Our culture is People First—we take it seriously and, because of that, we take good care of people. We encourage growth and upward mobility—and want you to succeed in a diverse, inclusive, and ethical workplace. Take action, join our Internship—apply now.
ABOUT THE CENTER ON HUMAN TRAFFICKING & SLAVERY:
United Way envisions a world where every individual has an opportunity to succeed, and entire communities thrive as a result. We're engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories, where people are powering big ideas and big action. The United Way Center on Human Trafficking & Slavery at United Way Worldwide was founded in 2015 to combat human trafficking and modern-day slavery. The Center is working to create effective community-based solutions, galvanize collaboration across sectors, and build public and political will to support, fund and scale strategies across the world that find, stop and prevent human trafficking.
INTERN EXPERIENCE AT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
Interns at United Way Worldwide gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization. Our goal is to make every intern who works with us feel included, valuable, and productive. In addition to the hands-on experience you’ll receive working at the largest nonprofit in the world, you will be provided with weekly professional development workshops.
The internship opportunities are open to current students of a college program, or within 2 years of graduating. Applicants must be authorized to work within the United States and have all required documentation proving their authorization at the time of their application.
The Program Intern will work in coordination with other team members in the Center, including the Senior Partnership Manager; Senior Manager, Outreach & Engagement; and the Executive Director. The internship will work across disciplines to allow for maximum learning and exposure to the components of the Center’s anti-trafficking work including policy, community impact, survivor leadership, organization administration and logistics, and communications. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to gain counter-trafficking experience in one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations. Candidates with lived human trafficking experience are especially encouraged to apply.
- Support the Center’s public education and awareness efforts, including webinars, learning sessions, and outreach activities
- Contribute to the creation of marketing and communications assets for the Center to be used for both internal United Way audiences and external audiences such as the anti-trafficking movement and the general public
- Provide support for the Senior Partnership Manager in administering, planning, and reviewing anti-trafficking collective impact programs in communities at Local United Way’s in both the US and Africa regions
- Conduct research and engage in information gathering activities related to special projects including Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; topic-based learning; and fundraising
- Explore the intersectionality of anti-trafficking efforts across United Way Worldwide’s impact areas of Education, Health, and Economic Mobility
- Attend relevant meetings with sector stakeholders including nonprofit, government, and corporate partners
- Update and maintain project-specific SharePoint sites
- Commitment to United Way’s Behaviors that Respect And Value Others
- Interest in the anti-trafficking field, including intricacies of both labor and sex trafficking in the U.S. and around the world
- Excellent research and writing skills including creation of social media content, blogs, and reports
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, and other similar technology
- Weekly professional development workshops provided onsite
- Chance to meet and work with top nonprofit experts in the country
- Completely remote internship experience
This internship takes place 100% remote.
September 13 - December 3, 2021
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Thank you for your interest in an internship opportunity with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.