At the heart of our work is ensuring the safety net by providing life-saving services to meet our neighbors’ most basic needs, like food and shelter.
We are here to support families and individuals when they are going through crises, like job loss, domestic violence and natural disasters.
And, we create a pathway to self-sufficiency and success for our neighbors and our community. We provide the tools, resources and education for families to achieve financial stability and independence, for children to succeed in school and in life and for veterans to rebuild their lives after returning from service.
Every day of the year, 24-hours a day, we are the voice of help and hope for those who call our 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE.
And, we bring stakeholders and our community together to address the most pressing needs in our area, improving the quality of life for everyone in our region. We do it all strategically, transparently and with a focus on results.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Under limited supervision and on own initiative, responsible for providing community-based referrals to the public. Conducts tasks related to information and referral projects at the Bay Area Center. Functions as the THRIVE Center Resource Supports Coach and performs associated duties. Individual must demonstrate knowledge of social services and community resources in the targeted community. Staffs and coordinates agency/health/benefit fairs. Individual demonstrates a broad knowledge of organizational practices, policies, procedures and operation of the department. Handles work of critical and/or confidential nature. Provides support for front desk and reception area, as needed. Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provides information and referral to callers and walk-in clients by assessing client's needs, making the appropriate referrals to social service agencies, including follow up on select cases to determine the outcome of the referral. Documents assistance provided and follows procedures as outlined by 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE. Provides similar services with walk-in clients.
- As part of the THRIVE Center, serves as primary contact for intake of all THRIVE clients to assess needs and provide coordination into employment coaching, financial coaching, and resource supports. Assist clients with identifying additional resources to meet their current needs and processes requests for resource assistance. Works in partnership with THRIVE Program Manager to coordinate orientations, hiring events, and other activities. Documents all activities in databases. Maintains relationships with THRIVE partners and attends THRIVE trainings and/or meetings.
- Maintains familiarity with local community resources and new services providers. Updates resource information and brochures. Facilitates updates to 2-1-1 database. Assists with management of any reporting or data gathering needed for documentation of community needs, initiatives, activities, and/or service delivery. Provide backup to the front desk and answer calls as needed.
- Supports and facilitates community resource fairs, basic needs provider contacts, and any other United Way initiative work. In addition, provides support to United Way campaign efforts by participating in special events, tours and fairs. Supports United Way IMPACT Days. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associates or better in Social Work or related field and 3 years demonstrated professional experience in a direct social services delivery role.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Qualified candidates are welcome to apply at: https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/job-bank/