UWBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ applicants, and people with lived experience in poverty.
Job Title: Human Resources Generalist (Hybrid)
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Senior Director, Human Resources
Classification: Exempt/Level 3
United Way Bay Area (UWBA) mobilizes the Bay Area to dismantle the root causes of poverty and build equitable pathways to prosperity UWBA brings together partners from the nonprofit, business, and government sectors to address Bay Area poverty. We partner across sectors, develop solutions, capture the data we need, and use those insights to support public policy and create research-backed community initiatives. These initiatives include:
- Housing Justice: Improve access to stable, affordable housing and homelessness prevention.
- Employment & Career Opportunities: Build systems and pathways to career and employment opportunities.
- Financial Stability: Help families increase income and savings on their way to financial stability.
- Basic Needs: Ensure access to basic needs like food, housing, and legal services.
UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We particularly welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ applicants, and people with lived experience in poverty. To foster an open and impartial application review process that minimizes the potential for bias, please remove any reference to academic institutions from which you obtained a degree, if applicable, for example, simply list “Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.” Not having a degree will not preclude you from being considered; applicable work experience is equally considered.
For more information about UWBA, please visit www.uwba.org.
As Human Resources Generalist, you will be responsible for supporting the Senior Director, People Operations in all aspects of Human Resources. In this role, you will be responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level. You will be expected to carry out responsibilities in the following functional areas: recruitment, benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation. You will also be expected to provide a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) focus to all aspects of this role.
What you’ll do:
- Form productive partnerships with management and team members.
- Partner with leaders to drive a high engagement culture and support team member engagement efforts.
- Manage the talent acquisition process from job requisition to onboarding.
- Respond, investigate, and resolve employee concerns and issues in accordance with company policies.
- Provide support and guidance when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, grievances, and terminations.
- Manage the day-to-day administration of employee benefit.
- Assist managers with performance management and the disciplinary process.
- Assist with HR policy implementation and communication.
- Maintain employee records and records retention.
- Perform tasks that support the HR department objectives.
Who you are:
- 2-4 years full cycle HR Generalist experience
- 2-3 years recruitment experience.
- PHR or SPHR certification a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. Applicants must be able to work legally in the United States. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.