United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial prosperity of every person in our community.
General Description: The SSVF/HUD VASH Housing Navigator is responsible for navigating housing search and placement for HUD-VASH eligible Veterans in Broward and Miami-Dade County. This position will also work closely with the Manager, Landlord Recruitment to build and maintain an inventory of affordable, safe housing units.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Responsible for identifying, engaging, and building relationships with prospective landlords through a variety of methods to develop sufficient affordable housing reserves for agency wide clients, with a focus on HUD VASH/ Veteran clients.
- Develop and maintain a database/listing of available, affordable rental properties for clients.
- Responsible for conducting tasks necessary for the selection of rental units by clients; specifically, touring inventory, lease negotiation, and pre-move in inspection of units.
- Maintain linkage between Agency, HUD VASH case manager, landlord, and client.
- Work alongside HUD VASH Case Manager to facilitate resolution of issues between landlord and clients.
Other Job Duties
- Maintains required legal and administrative record and statistical data as required by the agency program funders including use of the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).
- Monitors property owner, landlords, and property management companies‘ compliance with HUD standards.
- Responsible for coordinating and performing Housing Quality Standards inspections.
- Attend bi-weekly SSVF HUD VASH meetings and other housing related activities.
- Network with other agencies, coalitions, and participate in local community meetings as applicable.
- Coordinate with other agencies and participants in the local community.
- Gather client testimonials and build database of feedback.
- Meet annual training requirements.
- Complete special projects and presentations, as requested.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts. All employees must agree to work a flexible schedule.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education, Experience and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Public Administrqation, or related field required.
- Experience providing housing services to low-income and/or homeless individuals and families, and/or Veterans preferred.
- Knowledge of Public Housing Authority (PHA) and CoC housing subsidies available within Broward County preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; organizational, conflict resolution and computer literacy in Microsoft Office Programs.
- Ability to function independently and work cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Possess a valid Florida State Driver’s License to be verified annually.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands:
- The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.