Title: Housing Navigator
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Director of Community Impact
The Housing United Housing Navigator works closely with prospective property owners and managers to provide permanent housing opportunities for homeless individuals and families in coordination with the Housing United Case Manager. The Navigator will provide educational information to property managers regarding subsidies, security deposit assistance, support from a single point of contact, cost savings via low tenant turnover, and an 85% or above housing retention rate. The Navigator will also perform community outreach to business owners, realtors, landlords, housing developers, and other service providers to build strong relationships and identify new and existing opportunities to better assist clients in accessing resources, employment, supportive services, and housing opportunities.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Liaison with The Caring Place and the Housing United Case Manager to coordinate client services.
- Identify and build rapport with business owners, realtors, landlords, housing developers and other service providers to assist clients in accessing resources, employment, supportive services, and housing opportunities.
- Survey rental market for affordable housing and advocate for clients with prospective landlords.
- Prepare materials for making presentations to realtors, property managers, and property owners.
- Maintain a Property Manager/Owner contact log to meet set expectations.
- Establish, update, maintain and communicate a list of available housing opportunities weekly.
- Network and collaborate with area Housing Resources and maintain a presence at all meetings.
- Maintain a relationship with existing property managers/owners and establish new relationships with those willing to house Housing United clients.
- Identify appropriate permanent housing options for clients such as subsidized housing, Section 8, as well as permanent supportive housing, affordable and market rate housing, and other housing opportunities.
- In consultation with the assigned Case Manager and the homeless client, determine housing barriers, preferences, needs, and goals.
- Work with clients to fill out appropriate applications for housing opportunities.
- Assist with connecting clients to resources for housing stabilization.
- Maintain Housing United spreadsheets, payments, and check requests in coordination with staff accountant.
- Mediate with landlords, obtaining utilities and making moving arrangements when indicated.
- Mediate disputes between homeless persons and neighborhood stakeholders.
- Assess properties for compliance with industry regulations and inspection readiness.
- Participate in Case Conferencing to ensure effective service delivery by notifying Case Managers of all housing opportunities and coordinating individualized housing plans with clients and their assigned Case Managers.
- Maintain accurate documentation of service objectives and outcomes as well as other services in accordance with Federal, State, County, and United Way guidelines.
- Prepare related reports including but not limited to: outcomes, successes, etc.
- Develop working knowledge of the contracts and grants associated with the position.
- Review client-related data tracking systems, including case notes and Charity Check.
- Prepare case-related reports including outcomes, successes, and challenges.
- Generate client data for monthly reports.
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation of service objectives and outcomes.
- Attend collaborative meetings.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in street outreach and/or homeless services
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Services or comparable combination of education/work related experience
- Knowledge of housing resources, subsidy programs, and the Continuum of Care for homeless persons
- Computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities
- Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Professional demeanor and proven ability to exercise mature judgment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must maintain regular attendance
- Must properly handle and maintain confidential information
- Highly motivated self-starter and ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment