Open site opportunities:
- Utah Community Action (part-time)
ABOUT THE WELCOME BABY PROGRAM
Welcome Baby is a free in-home visitation program that promotes healthy, secure, and enjoyable new beginnings for parents, babies, and their family members. This is a self-appointed parent education program for which a visit protocol, evidence-based curriculum, individualized parent education plan, and a specific home visit framework has been developed. All families in Box Elder, Weber, Davis, Summit, and Salt Lake counties with a child aged newborn through three years of age are eligible to join our program. To learn more about Welcome Baby, visit: uwnu.org/welcome-baby.
ABOUT THE AMERICORPS POSITION
AmeriCorps is a national network of programs that address critical community needs in our nation. The Welcome Baby Program is funded in part by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and the Utah State Commission on Volunteers, and offers people of all ages the opportunity to provide valuable service to families and their young children in their community while gaining job experience and valuable life skills.
AmeriCorps members are placed in a variety of sites, based on community need. These sites range from medical clinics to school settings to nonprofit agencies. AmeriCorps members serve as Home Visitation Coordinators who work to promote the importance of early childhood education and parent support in their community by working directly with families at their site to educate them on the importance and value of home visitation, enroll families in the Welcome Baby Program, and make the necessary agency referrals to connect them with resources in the community. AmeriCorps members gain valuable volunteer management skills by recruiting community volunteers (Home Visitors) to provide monthly in-home visits and mentor families. AmeriCorps members oversee the training of home visitors, manage their home visit assignments and are responsible for managing data on all families referred for home visitation.
Benefits of serving as an AmeriCorps member:
- Living allowance of $18,000 (full-time) or $9,500 (part-time) over a 12-month service period
- Education award of $6,345 (full-time) or $3,172.50 (part-time) to be applied toward student loans or education-related expenses
- Health insurance subsidy and child care assistance (if full-time)
- The opportunity to interface with professionals at organizations such as Intermountain Healthcare and United Way, while gaining access to a multitude of professional development and volunteer management opportunities
- To learn more about the great benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps member, visit: https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers
*This is a paid volunteer opportunity through United Way of Northern Utah and the Utah Commission on Volunteers (UServe Utah).
How to apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Hannah Kenny (Welcome Baby Program Director) at email@example.com. Please specify your location and position (part-time or full-time) preference in your email.
Who would be a good fit for this AmeriCorps opportunity?
- Individuals who are interested in working in a healthcare setting, getting their foot in the door with United Way, or working in a school setting
- Individuals who are interested in the early childhood education/health field and are passionate about supporting families in our community with young babies
- Individuals who are enrolled in higher education and would like assistance with paying for student loans and/or education-related expenses
- Individuals who are not yet sure what career path they’d like to pursue but are passionate about service and connecting members of their community with fantastic resources!
United Way of Northern Utah and the Welcome Baby Initiative of Utah recognizes that in order to accomplish our mission, we must strive to invest in recruiting and developing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our community. Our core values of inclusion, clear sense of service, integrity, positive attitude, innovation and equity are the foundation of our organization and propel our work forward, including in the areas of recruitment and retention.
As an equal opportunity program, the Welcome Baby Initiative of Utah encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. We evaluate all candidates on a merit basis.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.