Purpose of Position
Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) is a web‐based data system which collects homeless services and related data from shelters, supportive service providers, and public agencies working to serve homeless and at‐risk clients in Orange County. Its purpose is to ascertain an unduplicated count of people experiencing homelessness in Orange County, track their progress through the system of care into self‐sufficiency, coordinate service delivery, and provide accurate aggregate data regarding sub‐populations. The successful candidate will have a strong aptitude for providing technical support to non‐technical database users and databases. Under the direction of the HMIS Senior Specialist, the selected candidate will be responsible for leading HMIS training activities and developing training materials, contributing content to monthly HMIS user meetings, and providing technical support to HMIS participating agencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as technical support to HMIS agencies to ensure appropriate use of system
- Supports the ongoing development of HMIS training and education materials, including the development of new and maintenance of existing training materials, as well as conducting training in webinar format
- Participate in agency audit process, including maintenance of materials, training staff, performing audits, tracking results and following up with agencies
- Completes agency and project set‐up in HMIS as needed
- Ongoing support including system monitoring and testing, problem diagnosis and resolution, and updates to HMIS
- Provides content for monthly HMIS user meetings to address appropriate system use, recommend system improvements, facilitate information sharing and identify best practices
- Maintains quality, accessibility, and functionality of HMIS by keeping up to date with release notes and other documentation from the HMIS vendor and HUD
- Creates education documentation on the use of HMIS and HUD policy for a non‐technical audience as needed
- Contribute website content updates
- Ability to get to work on time
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to effectively interact with coworkers
- Ability to understand and follow work rules and procedures
- Ability to accept constructive feedback
- Performs other duties as assigned
All employees, in performing their respective tasks and duties, are to perform quality work within deadlines, with or without direct supervision; interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers; work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments; and work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and obtains clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration, regardless of status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Independently plan and organize research activities to meet specific needs of an agency, partner or community‐based organization.
- A sharp ability to clearly understand and translate technical information to non‐technical audiences.
- Must be organized, very detail-oriented, and able to multi-task and prioritize in fast-paced environment.
- Must have exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Ability to think logically in following procedures and instructions.
Job Requirements /Technical Knowledge
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, or three years’ equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with case management software and data standards.
- The candidate must have a strong proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse, and lift files and reports is required. Employee must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614