Title: Healthcare Navigator
Supervisor: Director, Income/Health Impact
Organization Overview: United Way of Anchorage mobilizes the community to make lasting, measurable changes in community conditions that improve lives. We have adopted a unique approach to community problem-solving called collective impact which allows us to directly engage with communities. Our workplace is fast-paced, collaborative, and adaptive.
Position Overview: Healthcare Navigators educate individuals, families and community partners about health insurance and coverage options available through the Health Insurance Marketplace (part of the Affordable Care Act) or Medicaid. Navigators convey accurate information to help consumers make informed decisions about healthcare coverage, providing both in-person and virtual one-on-one enrollment assistance. Navigators do community outreach to raise awareness of the Marketplace and the availability of enrollment assistance.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Complete federally-required online training and pass test for Navigator certification within first two weeks of beginning employment.
- Assist individuals with applications for health insurance programs (Marketplace, Medicaid), including explaining information accurately and in understandable terms, interviewing consumers to obtain information needed for application, and facilitating computer-based enrollment.
- Maintain expertise in eligibility, enrollment and program specifications and provide information to consumers in a fair and impartial manner.
- Educate the public about the Marketplace and health insurance affordability programs through community outreach events.
- Respond to consumer calls or texts received at Alaska211 seeking answers to health insurance questions or to schedule Navigator appointments.
- Ensure the privacy and security of consumers’ personally identifiable information and comply with federal regulations governing Navigators.
- Ensure proper documentation and data collection as needed for program reporting and tracking.
- Effective communication
- Active listening and attentiveness
- Empathy and patience
- Friendliness and open-mindedness
Education, Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1 to 3 years of experience in customer service, education, human service delivery, community outreach, public health, benefits enrollment, and/or related fields.
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to the mission of United Way.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Computer skills: ability to efficiently navigate the Internet and Marketplace website and input data into applicable systems; familiarity with MS Office 365, especially Outlook and Sharepoint, and with Zoom.
- Ability to learn and retain complex information with accuracy and to follow procedures consistently and with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse population.
- Comfortable meeting and talking with the public in person or on the phone.
- Ability to type accurately and reasonably quickly.
- Bilingual is a plus (especially English/Spanish, English/Tagalog)
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, M-F between 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. with occasional evening or Saturday assignments
Compensation: $23 - $24.50 per hour plus full benefits
To Apply: Please send resume and letter of interest to Kayla Green, Director of People & Culture: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment contingent on passing background check. Position open until filled.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.