United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial stability of everyone in our community.
General Description: This grant funded position seeks and integrates current knowledge of health disparity mitigation, cultural and linguistic competence with principles of adult learning into education. The Health Equity Education Specialist utilizes systematic educational planning principles, solid instructional design methods, and emerging technologies for the creation of relevant program materials.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- This individual designs and delivers high quality education curriculum, programs, lessons and materials for diverse audiences across practice settings with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes and community health.
- Coordinate and conduct Health Equity train the trainer classes. Training for all levels of healthcare professionals including but not limited to Physicians, Nurses, Health navigators and Behavioral health professionals.
- Responsible for the management and coordination outreach efforts to healthcare providers and organizations.
- Designs and delivers high quality education curriculum, programs, lessons and materials for diverse audiences across practice settings with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes and community health.
- Assesses the effectiveness of training programs by collecting and summarizing data from course participants and developing quality measures by which to measure training effectiveness.
Other Job Duties:
- Assist with the development and revision of health equity standards, guidelines and organizational policies
- Assists in the development of job aides, facilitation guides, manuals, exercises, trainer guides and other materials to enhance learning
- Develops and disseminates communication materials pertaining to trainings and workshops
- Ability to travel in the South Florida area (Broward, Palm Beach, Miami Dade, Monroe and Martin) and occasionally throughout Florida.
- Manages registration, coordinate facilities for training, and handles logistics for sessions
- Demonstrates initiative related to self-directed learning through participation in lectures, programs, e-learning, and/or conferences.
- Works closely with multiple stakeholders to meet strategic deadlines and goals
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor, including activities related to COA accreditation.
Education & Experience:
Combination of education and experience normally represented by:
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of three (3) years experience in medical education, health equity education and/or cultural competence training from development to delivery.
- Exceptional training and facilitation skills
- Proficiency required in MS Word, Excel and other related computer programs required, and research related software preferred.
- Strong communication skills, both in writing and facilitation, and exceptional relationship building/interpersonal skills.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.