THE ORGANIZATIONUnited Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in changing the world and giving everyone in our community the opportunity to live their best life.
Join our team as a Grants Director, where you will have the opportunity to develop, implement, and manage strategic plans to secure funding from a diverse portfolio of corporations, foundations, and government sources. You will lead the identification of prospective relationships and maintain new ones, encouraging stewardship and continued commitment to our mission – working closely with all departments and making an impact across the organization.
- Manage Grant Applications and Reporting: Responsible for tracking and managing the timeline for completion and submission of grant applications and any follow-up reporting to funders (directly or by advising other UWSL team members).
- Strategic Planning: Utilize a thorough understanding of UWSL’s initiatives, programs, and core values to develop long-term strategies to secure new and renewal grant funding from corporations, foundations, and government sources, contributing to a ~$17m revenue budget.
- Fund Sourcing: Leverage UWSL’s resource base to seek out prospective funders as part of your strategic planning.
- Proposal Content Development: Translate USWL’s internal needs, strategy and vision into audience-appropriate grant proposals, reports, and other cultivation materials for direct use with prospective funders. Act as primary writer for complex proposals and collect content and data from other team members.
- Cross-Departmental Coordination: Coach and guide other team members to write content
- Grant Revenue Tracking, Budgeting and Forecasting: Track and report on grant revenue to USWL leadership and other stakeholders. Apply knowledge of current and projected grant revenue initiatives to forecast grant revenue and otherwise assist leadership in key strategy decisions.
- Understands facet of the job, aware of duties and responsibilities, keeps job knowledge current.
- Monitors the status of projects, thoroughly deals with project details, accountability with project owners, delivers clear and accurate description of status.
- Works to establish and articulate vision, shows creativity when defining solutions.
- Demonstrates integrity, accountability, and efficient stewardship of UWSL resources and funds
- Able to understand and adapt to different situations and dynamics effectively. Applies personal and professional experience, abilities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Ensures information is complete and accurate, follows up with others to ensure agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Experience navigating and interpreting data visualizations to extract data that describes a need, asset, result or sign of progress.
- 3-5 years of grant writing—or directly applicable—experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in relevant field (communication, writing, business, finance, etc.)
- Proven track record in securing both government grants and private/corporate foundation grants
- Experience interpreting, understanding, and implementing state, federal, corporate, and foundation grant requirements
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of Programs
The team member is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The team member must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery.
This is an exempt position with complete benefits, salary to commensurate with experience.