United Way of Northern New Jersey is seeking a Grant Writer to support its work to achieve racial and financial equity for those individuals and families struggling to make ends meet, including ALICE® (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) and those in poverty.
United Way of Northern New Jersey is one of 1,800 United Ways around the world. Each United Way is an independent entity that serves a specific community. This United Way serves a five-county region including Morris, Somerset, Suburban Essex, Sussex, and Warren counties.
United Way raises funds and invests in solutions that positively impact the people in our community. We’re investing in ALICE’s future in the workplace, at home, and across the community.
As part of the Equity and Innovation Team, the grant writer is responsible for finding funding opportunities for the organization and writing to secure grant funding. Their duties include researching deadlines, drafting grant requests, and submitting reports for approval. Researching, preparing, submitting, and managing grant proposals/reports that supports organizational goals and meet funding guidelines and criteria. This person serves as the primary grant writer, assists in managing funder relationships, engages in compliance reporting, and supports special project initiatives. This position requires strong writing, data analysis, program budgeting, project management skills, with an emphasis on clear writing and outcome measurement.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
The Grant Writer is responsible for:
- Leading grant proposal development and submission for renewals and new applications—preparing and organizing materials for proposals and submitting and monitoring grant applications—including Drafting proposals/LOIs, grant application narratives, and budgets.
- Collaborate and finalize proposals with development, program, communications, and finance staff.
- Submitting grant applications; managing access and systems for accessing grant portals.
- Maintaining master calendar of grants and prospects and all associated files and correspondence.
- Maintaining a library of grant supporting documents including but not limited to resumes, biographies of key staff, IRS forms, and Board/staff listing.
- Executing thank you letters and facilitating grant contracts and or agreements.
- Ensuring acknowledgment of funders/investors via website, e-newsletter, and social media.
- Working with Financial Team to maintain grant compliance and reporting, including outcome measurement and grant budgets.
- Schedule, plan, and assist in facilitating meetings for prospective and current grant application or contracts.
- Understanding of business functions such as Finance, Human Resources, and vendor management
- Proven experience in project management planning and execution
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication,
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Outstanding time management skills
- Five years (5) of experience in grant and proposal writing
- This job function uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, printers, and photocopiers
- Currently remote position due to COVID 19 pandemic; please note that this is an on-site position, and the candidate may be required to return to office during their tenure
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.